In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Will a Colt cylinder pin help out my Pietta?

old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
Will a Colt cylinder pin help out my Pietta great western 2 45 LC. Let me know anything and everything you guys know. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No expert on Pietta's but can't see that a cylinder pin would change anything.

I have Pietta Remington 1878 (or was it 1858?) that I converted to 45 LC using a Kirst Cartidge Konverter. Trigger pull on that Pietta is aweful.

I knew of a SASS affiliated gunsmith but I think he moved to Wisconsin. Last known contact info I had was:

A W Smiths & Sons Inc.
    Hanover Park IL
    Allen J. Nyenhuis
    630-784-9566
  • Options
    old45guyold45guy Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is sometime while shooting the cylinder locks up and wont move. I have for remove the cylinder and force it out.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Cylinder pins are not usually the problem when the gun locks up at random, I would more suspect something that is preventing the proper movement of other parts, such as the locking bolt, or possibly the hand.

I wouldn't even want to price Colt parts. I wanted cylinder pins with no second ('safety') notch for a pair of Cimarrons, to prevent possible inadvertent 'safety' engagement, but I made these from .250" tool-steel rod which is available in 4" lengths from Midway, for $5 each.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to better describe what you do to free up the lockup. Cylinder pins don't figure in unless they back out past the locking latch.
    Lockups commonly result from weak or broken hand springs, cylinder locking bolts or high powered loads that cause cases to back out and jam against the breech face.