In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ricochet or near death?

sierra_goshawksierra_goshawk Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG0-vJJDf8&feature=PlayList&p=A6297D78799B8EDB&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

How could this have happpened? (Has this been posted b/4?)

Very nearly a bad outcome. I thought a slug would disintregrate

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sierra_goshawk

How could this have happpened? (Has this been posted b/4?)

Very nearly a bad outcome. I thought a slug would disintregrate

It can happen very easily and does frequently. It has happened to me. When bullets strike hard objects like metal in this case or rocks in my case they sometimes launch straight back toward their point of origin.

Yes its been posted before. That video is at least a year old. That fellow is lucky that all he lost was his hearing protectors. You may have noticed that the bullet hit the ground to his front before reaching him.
  • rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw it happen. Around 1940, at my uncle's ranch, taking turns shooting, my cousin shooting my .380 auto -- a bullet bounced back and hit his mother who was standing beside him. Struck on the lower leg made an angry looking red mark but did not break the skin. We were shooting at tin cans but don't know what turned the bullet back.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1950's, my dad was shooting his .45 auto into a wood chopping block at close range. Hard block, squib load, and one of his cast bullets bounced back and raised a nasty goose egg on his forehead. Being the days before safety lens in glasses I can only imagine what might have been the outcome had the bullet hit an inch or two lower.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A few years ago a friend was shooting a AR at steel about 50yds away. We figure the bullet hit a divot in the steel and came back.
    He still has the bullet in his shoulder.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I was shooting a Mosin Nagant at a 100 yard range, and got a piece of bullet lodged in my upper left arm. It was only a piece of jacketing, and I got it out with a needle nose.

That is why I always wear glasses.
  • ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thompson Center .45 cal. Patriot blackpowder pistol. I shot a target on a tree at about seventy five to one hundred feet, deformed ball came straight back and hit my brother in the thigh just east of his family jewels. Left a welt, and a stain in his shorts...he had hung the target on an oak tree[:0]