In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accuracy with a XD 45 compact

jaxstrawjaxstraw Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
My Xd has a "4 inch" barrel but is actually 3 inches from the beginning to the end of the rifling. What I wanted to find out is how accurate should one be able to get with one of these? Say at 15 yards in a group of 6 inches?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That really depends on the shooter. The only to find out is to put the gun in a Ransom rest, or use a rest that you can get the exact sight picture with.
  • Options
    jaxstrawjaxstraw Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Afterthought having done some looking into it after I posted this.... I probably need lots of practice. I can hit 4 inch groups with my open sight Mauser at 200 yards and have done very well with various revolvers and my old HI-Point 45 with a 5 inch barrel. The XD is a very different gun for me.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Anything inside of 4.5 inches at 25yards is considered combat accurate. The gun should shoot in the 3-3.5 in range with ammo it likes from what I have seen of them.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jaxstraw
    My Xd has a "4 inch" barrel but is actually 3 inches from the beginning to the end of the rifling. What I wanted to find out is how accurate should one be able to get with one of these? Say at 15 yards in a group of 6 inches?

How accurate you "should" be depends on what exactly you are trying to do.

For a practical defensive type gun, if you can keep all your shots in 6" at 15 yards, you're shooting as accurately as you'd ever likely need to in any realistic bad situation.

If you want to compete with this gun, that sort of accuracy may or may not be good enough depending on what exactly the nature of the competition is. (A bullseye gun, this is not).

And you're probably not going to shoot as well from this gun as a nice revolver that has a lighter crisp trigger pull, a longer sight radius, and possibly more precise sights. This gun isn't built for pure accuracy, its built for service, which means a sacrifice in practical accuracy in exchange for (hopefully) faster sight acquisition and reliability.