In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38AMU

aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a barrel that fits my Colt National Match slide. It is stamped 38AMU. Is this cartridge,the 38AMU,different than the 38 Super? I believe the 38AMU was developd by the Army's marksmanship unit therefore the designation. The Army unit converted Colt 1911 pistols to this cartridge sometime in the 50's as part of a marksmanship training program.

I have never seen any AMU cartridges or brass for sale. So my question is will 38 Super work in this barrel?

Aldo

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to add a "welcome". This is a great place to gain information.

The 38 AMU is a rimless 38 Special cartridge, thus it is longer then a 38 Super Case. The 38 AMU was loaded with a flush seated 148 gr Wad-cutter just like the 38 Special Mid-Range load.

Do NOT attempt to fire 38 Supers in your barrel.

You can, however, use Colt Goldcup 38 special mags and shoot 38 Specials if the extractor is tuned.

CLARK38SPL1911A1.jpg

COLT38AMUSLIDE.jpg

38AMU-JimClarkBarrelMarking.jpg

odd38brass.jpg
  • aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your reponse. I just placed the barrel and the NM slide for sale on Gunbrokers. I picked these up at a gun show in CT back in the 60's and never did a thing with them. Guess time flys and the kids aren't interested in my old stuff.
    Aldo
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Could you give us the item number I might be interested Thanks Perry Shooter
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=148653619

The BIG question is there a Barrel Bushing for the Barrel/Slide? There are long out of production and impossible to find. (I called COLT thinking that a 38 Super bushing might work. I was told no.)