In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25-06

clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is this a rare round these days? I have been to a few stores Cabels & Bass Pro to name a few and they only have a few. I was wondering why, it is a versitable round and shoots really flat?

Comments

• clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 25-06 looks like a great varmit to deer load. Why don't you see it more?
    edited November -1
    I may have asked this before,but does anyone have any experience with this cartridge being used for deer hunting? If so,what make and bullet type?
    edited November -1
    Any opinions on the 25-06 as a target round? We're talking 100 to 300 yds, paper punching for the most part.

I reload and have all sorts of rifles & calibers - 223s, 6 & 7mm, 30 cal & up - looking at the 25-06 as an all day shooter with a little more power than the 6mm Remington. I handle recoil well, 40 rds through a 375 H & H doesn't hurt, but it's not my idea of an all day target rifle.

I already have a Ruger 77VS and it is fantastically accurate. I see it offered in the 25-06 also.

Any thoughts on the caliber or gun?
    edited November -1
    Has anyone used the hodgdons powder US 869 in a 25-06? What was your experiance? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I ran across this gun and it's built on a mauser98 action (Belgin)
    Mcmillen barrel i think. What would this be worth?
    edited November -1
    About 8 months ago i purchased a savage 110 in 25-06. It has a heavy barrel 22 inches long. On the bolt it has "Savage tactical" wrote on it. It has BSA 6x24x44 scope with 1/8 inch turret adj. At the time i purchased this rifle (for 300 dollars) i really had no interest in long range shooting, but now i have taken interest. My question is this, Is this a good enough beginer rifle or should i sell it and try to find something better. The rifle may have had no more than 150 rounds of factory loaded ammo run through it.
    edited November -1
    Hi,I just bought a 25-06 today & it should be here next week.I bought it for varmits & whitetail hunting.I was just wondering what is the max range for the 25-06 & what kind of accuracy everybody was getting with there 25-06?I can't wait to shoot the gun. Thanks!
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    It is still popular, but other rounds have sort of stolen its thunder.
    edited November -1
    I want one for my wife, bc it does not have a great deal of recoil and will drop most N. Amer. big game. Do you have any other suggestion?
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for low recoil might want to look at 7mm-08
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Several listed on the auctions.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    I would look at a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 swede. Its about the nicest cartridge to use for most game in America.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could also try a .243. There will be a lot more to choose from & ammo should be cheaper & easier to find.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That 25-06 is a pretty snappy round, and might have more recoil than you like for your wife also.

Like what has already been suggested is the 7mm-08, and by all means the 6.5mm clan...like the 6.5x55, and the 260 Remington. Most 6.5mm bullets have high ballistic coefficients, and high sectional density...translating into awesome down range performance on game. Out at 400-500 yards it will have as much snot as a 308, but hits the shoulder like a 243, and flies nearly identical trajectories as the beloved 270. It is hard to beat the 6.5's
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by clinteasterling
    Is this a rare round these days? I have been to a few stores Cabels & Bass Pro to name a few and they only have a few. I was wondering why, it is a versitable round and shoots really flat?

I have a Ruger 77 Varmint in 25.06. Great little rifle, I use it when I don't want the 308 recoil for 100 rounds or so of target shooting. Interesting to note, in my gun store travels today I saw a Savage 116 in 25.06 for $300.00. A single shot rifle, I'll bet it's accurate as heck.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 25-06 is one of my favorite rounds. It shoots really flat and the recoil is not bad at all, my opinion.
  • j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi,,,i have a ruger 77vt in 243,,,a remington 700 bdl vt in 7mm-08,,,and a savage 10 fp in 308,,,all 3 have about the same recoil,,,all 3 are based on the 308 cartridge necked down for the 243 and 7-08 bullets,,,all 3 VERY ACCURATE depending on the bullet grains you are pushing,there is a slight difference in recoil when heavier bullets are pushed,,,my pick,,,7mm-08 all the way,from groundhogs to elk,it will get the job done,,,thanks for listening,,,[:)][:)][:)][:)]