In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 94, 55, & 64 Survey update

Comments

• wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert,I was given a Mod.94 yesterday. Receiver is cracked so it is a parts gun I guess. Ser.# 1839560--- blank tang---marked 30-30 win---no receiver sight holes---no marks on receiver by ser. #---check butt---milled band--- short forearm---- receiver ring is cracked on the right side about in line with the edge of the bolt. Hope this helps,Swanie
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wilmamae
    Hi Bert,I was given a Mod.94 yesterday. Receiver is cracked so it is a parts gun I guess. Ser.# 1839560--- blank tang---marked 30-30 win---no receiver sight holes---no marks on receiver by ser. #---check butt---milled band--- short forearm---- receiver ring is cracked on the right side about in line with the edge of the bolt. Hope this helps,Swanie

Hello and thank you... yes, every single serial number helps[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elglide
    My 94 is #2039529 milled barrel bandsw, factory drilled for peep, checked butt plate _32 WIN. SPL._

Thank you very much for sharing the information[:)]
  • unclecharlieunclecharlie Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, I have a 32-40 Winchester MODEL 1894, serial #234428 2. Says simply 32-40 on top of the barrel. 3. It has a carbine butt. 4. reads:
    MODEL 1894
    --WINCHESTER--
    TRADEMARK
    This correlates to the second Style but the serial # corresponds to your third style. 5. No. 6.huh... 7.? 8. no.
    The magazine tube extends 4" beyond the grip. 26" round barrel, That's about it. Hope this is helpful. Ted
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by unclecharlie
    Hi Bert, I have a 32-40 Winchester MODEL 1894, serial #234428 2. Says simply 32-40 on top of the barrel. 3. It has a carbine butt. 4. reads:
    MODEL 1894
    --WINCHESTER--
    TRADEMARK
    This correlates to the second Style but the serial # corresponds to your third style. 5. No. 6.huh... 7.? 8. no.
    The magazine tube extends 4" beyond the grip. 26" round barrel, That's about it. Hope this is helpful. Ted

Hello Ted, and thank you for posting the information on your Model 1894.

I revised my original post with updated information (from my survey) concerning the serial number ranges for the various types of upper tang stamps. Please review it again.

Your Model 1894 is not in the exact serial range that I am most interested in (which is why the questions I posted are not making much sense in regards to your gun). The questions I have asked are specifically geared towards those Model 94s that are in the 1,000,000 - 2,700,000 range.
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, I found one more for sale here. Mod 94 Ser # 1216355.Marked 30WCF. Tang drilled and marked with type 7 script. No side holes in receiver. W mark on receiver bottom by ser #.Milled band. Long fore arm. Good luck, Swanie
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, I found one more for sale here. Mod 94 Ser # 1216355.Marked 30WCF. Tang drilled and marked with type 7 script. No side holes in receiver. W mark on receiver bottom by ser #.Milled band. Long fore arm. Good luck, Swanie

Thanks for the information[:)]
  • kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, I have two 94's
    1. ser #1618059, 20" carbine, upper tang no markings only one large screw at end of tang, no mount holes in receiver for site, barrel marking MODEL 94-32 W.S.- winchester proof steel, rounded milled bands, full length mag, flat checkered steel butt plate, forearm is 9 3/16" long.
    2. (out of range just fyi) 26" rifle ser#485345, oct barrel, full length mag, barrel mark ---nickel steel barrel--- especially for smokeless powder, cal 32 W.S. upper tang marks model 1894 -WINCHESTER-
    trade mark reg in us pat off, two screw holes one for site, no extra holes in receiver, marbles ramp rear site, forearm 10 3/8" long with end cap.
    3. FYI also have a marlin 336a in same cal.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kylew
    Bert, I have two 94's
    1. ser #1618059, 20" carbine, upper tang no markings only one large screw at end of tang, no mount holes in receiver for site, barrel marking MODEL 94-32 W.S.- winchester proof steel, rounded milled bands, full length mag, flat checkered steel butt plate, forearm is 9 3/16" long.
    2. (out of range just fyi) 26" rifle ser#485345, oct barrel, full length mag, barrel mark ---nickel steel barrel--- especially for smokeless powder, cal 32 W.S. upper tang marks model 1894 -WINCHESTER-
    trade mark reg in us pat off, two screw holes one for site, no extra holes in receiver, marbles ramp rear site, forearm 10 3/8" long with end cap.
    3. FYI also have a marlin 336a in same cal.

Hello Kyle,

Thanks for sharing the information on your Winchesters[:)].

Serial 1618059 was manufactured mid year 1949, and it appears to be a standard production Carbine.

Serial 485345 was manufactured in February of the year 1911, and it appears to be a standard Sporting Rifle.

Of the two, the older Sporting Rifle is the more valuable.
  • fourbiefourbie Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    survey input ....
    mdl 94 s/n: 1571465
    caliber marking: 30 W.C.F.
    butt plate: flat checkered steel
    tang marking: blank
    factory drilled for peep sight: no
    US martial or PCMR: unknown--how to tell?
    Proof steel marking: yes
    saddle ring: no
    barrel band: milled
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fourbie
    survey input ....
    mdl 94 s/n: 1571465
    caliber marking: 30 W.C.F.
    butt plate: flat checkered steel
    tang marking: blank
    factory drilled for peep sight: no
    US martial or PCMR: unknown--how to tell?
    Proof steel marking: yes
    saddle ring: no
    barrel band: milled

Thank you very much for the information[:)].

Your Model 94 Carbine was manufactured in the very early months of the year 1949.

The U.S. marked Carbines will have a "U S" and a flaming ordnance bomb stamped on the top of the frame ring. The PCMR Carbines have a broad arrow stamp on the lower left side of the receiver frame and on the butt stock. All of the PCMR Carbines were made in 1942.
  • fourbiefourbie Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input Bert. this firearm has neither the US martial nor PCMR marking as you might expect.

It is surprising, or maybe not, that this firearm shoots amazingly accurately. I presume it would be more valuable but at some point I apparently set on someone's truck floorboard and apparent condensation has caused some oxidation on one side. I suppose it could be refinished. would refinishing be appropriate or detrimental to it value?

thanks in advance.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fourbie
    Thanks for the input Bert. this firearm has neither the US martial nor PCMR marking as you might expect.

It is surprising, or maybe not, that this firearm shoots amazingly accurately. I presume it would be more valuable but at some point I apparently set on someone's truck floorboard and apparent condensation has caused some oxidation on one side. I suppose it could be refinished. would refinishing be appropriate or detrimental to it value?

thanks in advance.

You are quite welcome.

Ordinarily, refinishing a pre-64 Winchester is detrimental to the value. Without the benefit of actually seeing your Carbine, it is impossible to say what the best course of action should be. If you are able, please post a few pictures of it.
  • PembinePembine Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert , I have a model 94 serial # 1060101 nickel steel-32W.S. Type 6 , Milled band, carbine buttplate. I have had the gun since 65 or so and it still shoots nice and is a joy to carry in the swamps. hope this is useful to you
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pembine
    Hi Bert , I have a model 94 serial # 1060101 nickel steel-32W.S. Type 6 , Milled band, carbine buttplate. I have had the gun since 65 or so and it still shoots nice and is a joy to carry in the swamps. hope this is useful to you

Hello Pembine and thank you for sharing the information on your Eastern Carbine[:)].

The serial number places the DOM in December 1929. I assume that it has standard carbine style sights (the milled steel block w/pinned blade front sight, and the flip-up ladder style rear sight)?
  • Magic051Magic051 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,

I own a Model 94 32 Win Special, Serial #2039217 which I believe dates it to 1954. It is in pristine condition however, I do not have the original box or anything else.
    Caliber Stamp: -32 WIN.SPL.-
    Butt Plate: Flat Checkered Steel
    Upper Tang Marking: None
    Receiver: Yes, drilled & tapped for a peep sight
    No U.S. or PCMR markings
    Proof Steel marked barrel
    No Saddel Ring
    It has the initials DK stamped just ahead of the trigger
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Magic051
    Bert,

I own a Model 94 32 Win Special, Serial #2039217 which I believe dates it to 1954. It is in pristine condition however, I do not have the original box or anything else.
    Caliber Stamp: -32 WIN.SPL.-
    Butt Plate: Flat Checkered Steel
    Upper Tang Marking: None
    Receiver: Yes, drilled & tapped for a peep sight
    No U.S. or PCMR markings
    Proof Steel marked barrel
    No Saddel Ring
    It has the initials DK stamped just ahead of the trigger

My research (thus far) puts it at the tail end of 1953. If you are willing and able, please check to see what the 2-digit year number is that is stamped on the bottom of the barrel (under the forend stock & magazine tube). It could be either a "53" or a "54".
  • Magic051Magic051 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert,

The stamp under the forearm on the barrel is 53........

Derek
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Magic051
    Bert,

The stamp under the forearm on the barrel is 53........

Derek

Hello Derek,

Thank you for checking it[:)]. Your finding confirms what I suspected, and it more positively points towards it being a late 1953 production carbine.
  • kevind6kevind6 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is another one you can add to your survey...
    1). Serial # 1293730
    2). 30 W.C.F.
    3). Serrated steel butt plate
    4). Type 7
    5). No peep sight holes drilled
    6). No U.S. or arrow markings
    7). Winchester Proof Steel marked on barrel
    8). No saddle ring
    10). I actually thought the first letter in the serial # was an "L", so yes

It does have a milled barrel ring as well. It also has a stamped number "40" just forward of the trigger on the bottom of the receiver. I'm guessing that would be a year of manufacture?? If so, it is a couple of years older than the age estimates I've seen.

BTW, I've learned a lot on this thread.

Thanks,

Kevin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kevind6
    Here is another one you can add to your survey...
    1). Serial # 1293730
    2). 30 W.C.F.
    3). Serrated steel butt plate
    4). Type 7
    5). No peep sight holes drilled
    6). No U.S. or arrow markings
    7). Winchester Proof Steel marked on barrel
    8). No saddle ring
    10). I actually thought the first letter in the serial # was an "L", so yes

It does have a milled barrel ring as well. It also has a stamped number "40" just forward of the trigger on the bottom of the receiver. I'm guessing that would be a year of manufacture?? If so, it is a couple of years older than the age estimates I've seen.

BTW, I've learned a lot on this thread.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for the information[:)]. This topic post was intended to be educational for all... including myself.

Model 94 number 1293730 was serialized in August of 1941, and it was assembled sometime after that date. The "40" stamp you are referring to is an inspectors stamp (for final fit & function).
  • iwebiweb Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 94 - 32 WIN SPL
    checkered
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iweb
    Model 94 - 32 WIN SPL
    checkered

Thank you for posting[:)]

Is the receiver drilled & tapped for a peep sight? (I suspect that it is not, but would like to confirm that).

The serial number indicates that the receiver was serialized in the latter half of the year 1951.
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, This one belongs to a friend. It's a bit before the range you seek but here it is, Ser# 958847 marked 30 wcf Nickle steel especialy for smokeless carbine butt reciever not drilled but tang is type 5 tang markings buckhorn rear sight milled band that is in front of the front sight long fore arm I've not seen one set up with the band here before, the front sight is a small forging integeral with the barrel Swanie
  • iwebiweb Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    No it is not drilled and thanks!
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert, This one belongs to a friend. It's a bit before the range you seek but here it is, Ser# 958847 marked 30 wcf Nickle steel especialy for smokeless carbine butt reciever not drilled but tang is type 5 tang markings buckhorn rear sight milled band that is in front of the front sight long fore arm I've not seen one set up with the band here before, the front sight is a small forging integeral with the barrel Swanie

Model 94 serial 958847 was manufactured in the month of May, 1923. The front barrel band location you are referring to is normal for all of the Carbines that were manufactured starting in late 1894, all the way through early 1932 (April). When Winchester made the switch to the ramp style front sight in early 1932, they moved the barrel band behind the ramp.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning Bert,
    A dandy little 94 SRC fell into my lap yesterday![:D]
    Serial#949284
    Nickel steel barrel 32W.S.
    Carbine butt
    All factory original conservatively 80% but missing the ring. The stud is there however.
    What year do your records show she was born? What price range are the SRC's running in this economy?
    Thanks,
    Ed
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad
    Good morning Bert,
    A dandy little 94 SRC fell into my lap yesterday![:D]
    Serial#949284
    Nickel steel barrel 32W.S.
    Carbine butt
    All factory original conservatively 80% but missing the ring. The stud is there however.
    What year do your records show she was born? What price range are the SRC's running in this economy?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Hello Ed,

Late November, 1922 (serial number 949494 was the last Model 94 serialized on November 29th, 1922).

At 80% but with a missing SR, and being a 32 W.S., it is worth about $750.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert!!
    Ed
  • bulldoggerbulldogger Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert i'm new here i have a model 64 30 W.C.F Serial#299241
    can't find any infor. about it.
    19.5" barrel
    proof steel
    No SR
    tang plate Model 1894 Winchester trade mark
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bulldogger
    Hi Bert i'm new here i have a model 64 30 W.C.F Serial#299241
    can't find any infor. about it.
    19.5" barrel
    proof steel
    No SR
    tang plate Model 1894 Winchester trade mark

Hello,

Unfortunately what you actually have is an early 1906 vintage Model 1894 Sporting Rifle that was rebarreled with a Model 64 Carbine barrel. The fact that the barrel is marked "30 W.C.F." indicates that it a 1933 - 1950 vintage barrel. If you are really curious, remove the forend stock and magazine tube, and you should find a 2-digit year number stamped on the bottom of the barrel very near to where it threads into the frame ring.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert for the infor. I will check the barrel out to see what it is.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert for the infor. I will check the barrel out to see what it is.

You are quite welcome[:)].
    edited November -1
    The 2 digit #39
    edited November -1
    The 2 digit #39

That confirms what I mentioned before... you have a much later Model 64 barrel on an early Model 1894 receiver frame.
    edited November -1
    Bert, Here is another one. MODEL 94-30-30 WIN-. proof steel, no tang marks, no peep drilling, milled carbine bands, short forearm, checkered butt, hooded front site. Ser#1853222X the X appears to be factory. I don't know much but I have never seen one with a letter. Blue is 90%+ but has smooth wear from a saddle scabbard. Kyle
    edited November -1
    Bert, Here is another one. MODEL 94-30-30 WIN-. proof steel, no tang marks, no peep drilling, milled carbine bands, short forearm, checkered butt, hooded front site. Ser#1853222X the X appears to be factory. I don't know much but I have never seen one with a letter. Blue is 90%+ but has smooth wear from a saddle scabbard. Kyle

Hello Kyle,

Thank you very much for posting the information on your Winchester[:)].

The serial number tells me that it is a relatively late year 1951 production Model 94. The "X" on the end of the serial number is factory stamped, and it tells us that it was a duplicate serial number. The automatic indexing system on the serial number stamping machine on rare occasion would apparently malfunction, resulting in two (or more) receivers being stamped with the same number. When that happened, an "X" or "XX" was added to the end of the serial number. Winchester began that practice sometime during the 1940s. Your Model 94 is the 6th one I have in my survey with the "X" suffix, and it is very close to one other (1854060X). I suspect that the serial number machine may have been in need of some maintenance work at that time.
    edited November -1
    Bert, Thank you for the info. I will have data on more 94's to follow. Kyle
    edited November -1
    Bert, Thank you for the info. I will have data on more 94's to follow. Kyle

Hello Kyle,

Thank you, and I will look forward to your next post.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert, Know you don't really need it but I just picked this one for $150 in 85%. Winchester 94, 30-30 WIN, drilled for receiver sights, no tang marks, hooded sight, ser # 1938233.

Lance