In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

325 wsm "wildcats 338"

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Ask the Experts
I was puzzled years ago when this round was introduced they didn't go 338 instead of 8mm. Is there any advantage in energy or ballistics if you went up to 338 cal. I have seen people talk about necking up to 358 as well.

I really thought I'd buy a new hunting rifle this year, but will most likely push if off past the new year. I'll be using gramps old 300sav this year as my middle son will be carrying my rifle.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I could remember everything I read! When the .325 first came out, there was an article in one of the gun magazines and it addressed the very issue you mentioned. There was some problem with going to .338--they would have to shorten the case or something like that. As I said, I can't remember the details, but that was the origional intent, ie., to go to .338.

FWIW: I recently bought a new A-bolt in .325 WSM and am delighted with its accuracy (one ragged hole 5-shot group) and velocity (2960 fps with 195 gr. Hornady spire).

Good luck with your gramps .300 Savage, I like that cartridge (the recoil is a LOT more comfortable than the .325!)
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The .325 WSM is an awesome caliber if you could really get the bullets that make it shine, i.e. 220-250 gr. As it is 200 gr., with some being high BC, aren't bad at all in that case. 200 gr.'s are easily capable of 2900 fps. Maybe even 3000 with the right load combination all set up. As far as rebarreling to {edit: .338 .358? I wouldn't. .338 is the caliber a lot of LR people are going to for extreme long range. Because that's what the rags say. And the sheeple follow... When a seriously high BC comes out for {edit: .338 .358} then you might do it. But .323/8mm is going to give you very high BC's.

Edit:

I don't know where I got calibers mixed up when I posted this but the WSM case holding a .338 bullet of high BC...and they do make really high BC .338 bullets, would also be exceptional. To clarify, upper end 8mm bullets can be found that have high BC's. In the past I've seen really high BC 8mm bullets. Not common to see them though. However, you can load 196-200 gr. bullets with excellent results. The 1-10" twist in that caliber can stabilize very heavy bullets. Again, if you can find them.