In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope choice

rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Due to having "old eyes" I will be installing a scope on a recently aquired Ruger .44 Carbine. What do you guys & gals reccomend? Straight 4 power or a variable. It will be a quality scope not a Wal-Mart special.

Comments

• rjcrjc Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am going to buy a scope for my .308. I want a fixed power scope. I have settled on 2 scopes...a Burris 10x50 with mil-dot reticle or an SWFA SS 10x42. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad about either scope? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Need some opinions for scope choice to put on Remington 700 Classic in 257 Roberts. I'm thinking of a Weaver Grand Slam in 3.5-10, a Leupold Vari-X III in 3.5-10, a Leupold Vari-X II in 4-12, and a Burris Black Diamond in 3-12. Can't decide which one would compliment the rifle the most, yet be the most functional for everything from shooting milk jugs way out yonder to shooting coyotes from 50 yards in the timber to open corn and bean field shots to hunting deer, mostly in northern Minnesota or possibly Maine. Any thoughts, good or bad would be appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Leupold VX3 4.5-14 or Ziess Conquest 4.5-14? They are both about the same price and will be going on a 204 to surgicaly remove ground squirrels at 0 to 400 yards.[8D]
    edited November -1
    Trying to decide on a high end scope for my Rem. 700.

Been looking at a Zeiss Conquest 6.5 20x50 with the Rapid-z 1000 reticle, just wondering if anyone has any positive or negative experiences with it.

Maybe something as good or better for less than a grand?

Will be mostly used for distance target shoots.

Thanks for any and all feedback.
    edited November -1
    I have narrowed my scope choice for my Remington .308 down to 2 scopes in my price range. The scope will be used for tactical urban/light rural applications. I am looking at a Weaver Tactical 3-15x or a Burris XTR 3-12x. Has anyone had any bad experiences with either and recommend one over the other? Thanks.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What rifle are you mounting this on?? Is this the only sight on the rifle?? Is this for long range shooting only?? You need to add more info. so one can give an honest opinion.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Given a choice between the two I'd take the Burris. I've used the Super Sniper and was not impressed with the clarity.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I'd go with the Burris as well, but i have used fixed 10x scopes quite a bit, and shooting accurately at things inside 30 yards, especially things that are moveing is hard to do.. I have since bought scope mounts with mini red dot attachment points for most of these scopes to go into and they have helped me make those close shots accurately.

as a matter of fact, just recently I had a incident where this very problem of to much magnification came into play with a rifle I didnt have a mini red dot on, and it could have ended badly, I got lucky and it didnt go as bad as it could have..

Point being, if you think this rifle will ever be used to defend your life or livestock, make it as flexable and easy as possible to use, before you need it.
    edited November -1
    The scope will be mounted on a .308 Remington model 700 LTR with a 20" barrel. The scope will be the only sight on the rifle. I do not anticipate using the rifle for anything inside 50 yards. I have other rifles for close-in work. Are variable power scopes the way to go? I've heard they can be difficult to zero at different magnifications.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I suggest you look through here.
    http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=19&page=1

And look at the new SWFA SS 3X9

CP

Edit
    Sandwarrior, check the reviews on the new SWFA SS scopes.
    They have only been out a few weeks so durability is a question but the glass is good.
    Although I admit my serious rifles have either USO or NF.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whether or not you need a variable power scope depends HIGHLY on what you want to do with the gun (which you didn't specify).

I'm all for a fixed magnification scope. In general, you get greater image quality for the dollar, more consistency and reliability.

You shouldn't get a wandering zero with a GOOD variable power scope, but you can run into issues of varying eye relief.

The only thing I'll add is that 10x is a LOT of magnification.

You didn't specify exactly what you intend to be shooting or from what distance, but unless its REALLY small, or REALLY far away, you might consider a lower power fixed scope.

A fixed 6x covers a LOT of ground (and even so does a 4x).

The problem with higher magnification is that it increases perceived "wobble" of the target, and it also limits overall field of view.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rjc,

The link cpermid provided is about the only place for that I would say could be better than here for knowledge in that department. There have been some incredible scope makers and shooters on that forum talking about what they know.

I did not see a fixed 10X Burris scope. Are you maybe thinking of the 2.5 or 3-10?

A little history on the two scopes you've pointed out. Burris used to be all American made. Now the lower priced scopes are made in the Philipines. I haven't run into any bad ones, just after using good glass, I haven't been impressed with their lower level scopes. Their upper end, Signature Select, and Black Diamond (and Euro) are made here. They are very good quality. However, glass-wise, IOR and Meopta make scopes that beat them in glass quality for about the same price. For durability, so far I have not had a problem with IOR (some say they have*), Meopta or Burris B.D. The difference betwen Black Diamond and Signature Select is the tube diameters. BD is 30 mm and Signature Select is 1". The Super-Sniper is an upscale Tasco. Literally. The company was formed specifically to compete to put a Japanese made scope on top of an American sniper rifle. They won the contract for two years to supply the SEALs with scopes for their precision rifles. The Marines didn't go for it. SS lost the contract after too many scope failures. But the company pushed on and still produces scopes on par with what they did when they owned the contract. They are better built now I think. But, surprisingly, still don't have as good of glass as other Japanese made scopes like Nightforce, even Nikon. Go figure.

I'm also trying out a limited run Vortex 6.5-24 x50 mil-dot. It's limited because mine is a 1" tube and they were supposed to be 30mm tubes.

*find scott with liberty optics over on the hide (link cpermid gave you) and he can give you a good lowdown.

-good luck
    edited November -1
    The Burris scope is an XTR XTreme Tactical. The seller has it listed as a closeout. I could not find it anywhere else. The gun will be used mainly for long range target shooting, over 100 yards. But it is a tactical rifle. I bought it with that in mind, to be used as such. I do live in an urban area. Maybe the 10X is overdoing it on the magnification?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed 10 in urban terrain is too high. If it's a variable 3-10 you're in business.