In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which civilian Colt M4 is closest to military M4?

hjnickhjnick Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
Which civilian Colt M4 is closest to the military M4?
I like the LE6920, however there is also the LE6520 and
Model 6721. Which one is the closest to the military
version? Thanks

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    6921 is the closest, it has a 14.5" barrel makeing it an SBR, it requires that your state will allow you too own a class three gun.

You buy the gun and th dealer holds it, Then you do some ATF paper work, finger printing, get passport photos, and a designated local officials signiture, 200.00 dollars, then an invasive FBI back ground check..

If you dont pass the FBI back ground check, I am not sure if you get your money back or not..

the 6920 or 6920HB are in most every respect the same as the 6921, but has a 16" barrel which is legal to own without government premission.. the 6920HB has a heavier profile M4A1 barrel
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, you might as well complete the job with a modular rail mount system & vertical foregrip-bipod. You may have difficulty finding a laser designator, but a Trijicon ACOG or red dot sight like an Aimpoint or EOTech can be found easily.

Neal
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Most important thing on a gun if you are gonna deck it out is a good quality set of properly zeroed iron sights... Some of the guys on here like the GG&G MAD it is 600 yards BDC in 100 yard increments and calibrated to barrel lengths.

The military Opted for the "Matech" USGI BUIS.. If you want the real deal, the Matech is now it, it is also calibrated to barrels length and BDC in 100meter increments to 300meters and in 50m incriments after that to 600meters.

Red dots that I have used are the aimpoint modles ML1, COMP3 2x, ML2 2x, ML3 and H1, they are all good.. Out of them all i'd recommend the ML2-2X, the ML3 and H1. i am not the biggest fan of the green tint in them, but the ML3 and h1 have insane batterylife and are light weight and easy & positive to turn on and off..

i have used EOTech models 512, 552, and I am going to buy an compact XPS model soon.. these are faster on target, and user friendly enough to turn on, turning them of can be alittle tricky, especially the more you use them..

I have several Trijicon products my favorite ACOG being the TA11 3.5x35, with red chevron.. Make sure when you buy an Acog, it is calibrated to your barrel length..

Good AR-15 carbine scopes are anything that wont break and has no more magnification then 20x, 1x,2x,3x, or 4x bottom magnifaction is as hight as I would go.. i like the nightforce 2.5-10x24mm, or the IOR 2-12x32, but they are very expensive.. Scopes to look at might be leupold Mark AR 1-4 or 3-9 or millet 1-4x24 or konus 1-4x24 M30..

A scope QD mount or rings might be something that would interest you, Warne or leupold make throw lever rings, And with an Ar-15 exra or ultra high rings are the way to go for most ppl... Burris makes a one piece tensioning scope mount, and now SWFA has one commissioned for there supersniper line of scopes..

If you want a scopemount thats more quicker to remove then American defense or larue custom makes QD throw lever mounts...

the second thing thats just as important as the rifle and sights is a way to carry magazines, I like the Elite survival systems shoulder bandoleer, it holds 9 30 round magazine..I like the booniepacker extra mag holder that tensions to the side of the AR magwell..

If you want to know more about Triggers, stocks,magizines, ammo carriers, slings, magnifiers, bipods, lights, lasers, night vision, vertical grips, pressure switches, handguards or anything else feel free to ask..

a gun withall the best goodies will run you well over two thousand dollars. remember chicks dont dig guns, they just gotta go boom and work everytime you need it as long as you need it wether thats in a match or hunting prairie dogs or whatever..
  • hjnickhjnick Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated! If I am on a limited budget and still want a Colt M4 though should I stick with the LE6920? Again, appreciate the help from everyone. Thanks.