In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 31 Remington Trench/Riot shotguns

31man31man Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Well I have quite a few model 31's and I was wanting to gain some information on the 31's that were used in the military. I have a 31 with a flaming bomb on the reciver does anyone no the signigigance of this emblem and if its a trench gun or riot gun? the serial numbers are 50xxx if that helps at all any information would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book has a excellent section on U.S. military shotguns. It notes that Model 31 Remington's, between the serial number ranges 39,500 to 60,500 were used. Some are marked "U.S. Property", others with only the ordnance mark on stock.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Burning Bomb" is the mark used by US military. Similar in concept to the "Broad Arrow" used to mark British military ordnance. Shotguns owned by the US military have been used for a wide variety of purposes- Combat, Law enforcement (MP), prisoner control (correctional staff), training aerial gunners, animal control, sporting events (anybody notice the young PFC that just picked up medal in Olympics?) and are even used by the Coast Guard doing buoy maintenance- they take off heavy ice buildups by whanging the buoys with birdshot!
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The information in the Blue Book is not what most would consider to be accurate (or the primary source for specific information).

The Remington Museum states that a total of (9000) Model 31s were sold to the U.S. Ordnance Department during World War II. The majority of that number were long barreled skeet guns. The Riot Guns (no Trench Guns were made), have a 20.125-inch CYL bore barrel (marked on the left side of the barrel).

The goverment issue Model 31s are marked "U.S. PROPERTY" on the left side of the receiver with the flaming ordnance bomb symbol immediately following. The initials "RLB" (Lt. Colonel Roy L. Bowlin, Chief Rochester Ordnance District to 1942) will be found on stamped on the early end of the serial number range. The majority of the Model 31 Riot Guns will be found with the initials "FJA" (Col. Frank J. Atwood). Very few Model 31 Riot Guns will be found with the Ordnance crossed cannon cartouche on the left side of the butt stock. The correct serial number range for the Remington Model 31 government issue guns is 51,000 - 63,500.

All of the information I have provided above, was obtained from Joe Poyer's fine reference book "U.S. Winchester Trench and Riot Guns, and other U.S. Combat Shotguns"

Without more detailed information about your gun, it is not possible to determine if it is legitimate or not.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington Model 31's we had in the 7th Div in 53-54 were Special Service (recreation) guns as were Remington Model 11's and Savage 720's and a few Win Mod 12's. All were marked with the Ordnance Bomb and all had 28" Mod chokes except for the Model 12's which had 20" barrels, fitted with Cutts Compensators. The purpose of Special Service sporting equipment was for recreation only. These guns could be drawn out for hunting. Every Army company had two or three Special Services shotguns.
    The only Riot guns we had were the very poor Stevens 620 Jamomatic Model which wouldn't stay fixed for any length of time. They were issued for guard duty in higher density areas. They were fired only for familiarization but were loaded and unloaded every two hours. This factor may have been the straw that broke the back of an otherwise lousy
    design.
  • 31man31man Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the gun does have the initals RLB with a flaming bomb following the initials on the left side of the reciever. The barrel is 26" solid rib marked cyl on the left side of the barrel. The wood forarm and stock are both checked the checkering matches all the 31's I have that are chechered. The forarm has the trap or big forarm nice wood.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 31man
    Well the gun does have the initals RLB with a flaming bomb following the initials on the left side of the reciever. The barrel is 26" solid rib marked cyl on the left side of the barrel. The wood forarm and stock are both checked the checkering matches all the 31's I have that are chechered. The forarm has the trap or big forarm nice wood.

You have one of the govenment issue Skeet guns.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the choke marking?
    The Army Special Services had all kinds of sports and recreation equipment including Remington 513-22lr rifles.
    I'd check further to see if the wood is a replacement.
    None of the shotguns our Division had had fancy or deluxe wood.
    The only skeet gun I came across was a Model 12 with 20" barrel and Cutts Compensator.
    Skeet and Trap teams stateside may have had better guns.
    edited November -1
    Does anyone no about how many of these government issue skeet guns that were produced?
    edited November -1
    So the gun is probably a gov. issue skeet gun thats great do you have any idea value wise what the gun would bring? Its in my collection now its never gonna leave the safe till i die probably and im only 21 so i have a lot more collecting to do on the Remingtons. I dont belive the wood to be a replacement either ill take it off and look it over for serial numbers or unique markings!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 31man
    Does anyone no about how many of these government issue skeet guns that were produced?

As I stated in my first reply, Remington supplied a total of (9,000) Model 31s to the U.S. Ordnance Department, and the majority of them were Skeet guns... so, that means at least 4,501 of them were made. My best guess would be about 5,000 - 7,000.