In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem 700 mountain .260/7mm-08 recoil?

holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
Do any of you have experience with this rifle? I am considering one but am not sure regarding recoil of this light rifle (6.5lbs). I will use it only to hunt (no target shooting etc). Also any opinions on accuracy would be appreciated too. Thanks for your replies in advance.

Comments

• wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yours is a very difficult question to answer as felt recoil and the sensitivity to it are individual matters. Certainly , a light rifle will recoil more than a heavier on of the same caliber, likewise one that shoots a lighter projectile at a given velocity will recoil less than one shooting a heavier projectile

That said, I do not consider the 7-08 or the 260 to be calibers that have "consequential" recoil. Thus, IMHO they are good choices for a light rifle. I do consider both to be excellent "middle-of-the-road" hunting cartridges. Adequately accurate, bullets that perform well, and reasonable velocity all together provide a more than adequate hunting round.

Good luck.
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a Kimber in 7-08 that weighs 6 pounds without the scope. It's very easy on the shoulder IMO.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the previous post, how the recoil feels to you will be different than someone else. I look at recoil from the basic physics standpoint but take into account stock design and weight distribution. Anytime you put a specific power level into a light weight rifle, you will basically get the same amount of recoil. A good stock design will reduce the "felt" effect but it is still there. I have gone through a couple of recoil sensitive phases as a result of physical problems and now feel that the 30/06 in a 9# rifle is about my maximum for comfortable shooting. I have a 7-08 in a 110 Savage with the light barrel and synthetic stock which is about 7 1/2# and it is definitely in the big game rifle ball park recoil wise. Not uncomfortable but not a 223 either. The Remington is a slightly better stock than the Savage. I think I would feel comfortable with this type rifle for my own use. If you get one and don't like it, just send it to me.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll agree with the above posts that recoil is certainly subjective, I shoot with one fellow who feels a 223 bounces him about a bit too much. Regarding the 260, I shoot this calibered unbraked out of a 15" T/C Encore handgun and the recoil is very mild. I would expect pretty much anyone should be able to handle it out of a rifle.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's already been mentionned and the comments have been right on.
    My 7-08 Mountain rifle with factory 140's is comfortable from field positions and I tend to be recoil sensitive.
    The same round in a BDL beats the stuffings out of me even though it's a heavier rifle because the stock design is 100% wrong FOR ME.
  • holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCrosby, thanks for the info on your BDL and Mountain rifle. I have a ADL .270 that can pack a wallop. I have a perfect record of one shot kills w/it since 1983. But I still flinch every time I shoot it. I am hoping a Mountain rifle stock and a lighter caliber will be easier on me so I shoot smoother and don't flinch.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Due to its relatively light recoil the 7mm-08 is fast becoming a favorite big game rifle for women and youngesters just starting to hunt with a big game caliber in this area. The Rem 700 is an excellent rifle for this caliber and has a very light felt recoil.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    holybuck,
    I hear ya. I sold an ADL in 30'06 years ago because it belted me harder than my Sako .338 Mag. Never looked back, never bought another 700 of standard stock style. The Mountain Rifle I sold for no good reason and wish I had it back!
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by holybuck
    RCrosby, thanks for the info on your BDL and Mountain rifle. I have a ADL .270 that can pack a wallop. I have a perfect record of one shot kills w/it since 1983. But I still flinch every time I shoot it. I am hoping a Mountain rifle stock and a lighter caliber will be easier on me so I shoot smoother and don't flinch.

Just remember, the gun kicks the same whether you flinch or not, right?
  • holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very true, dfletcher. Flinching does'nt help anything. So what type of stock design is best for minimizing recoil? Do any of the 700's have such a thing?