In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Colt Cobra

helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
GENTLEMEN:

I JUST PURCHASED A COLT COBRA WITH HAMMER SHROUD FROM SOME OLD LADY AT AN ESTATE SALE. IT LOOKS NEW, NOT EVEN A RING AROUND THE CYLINDER, AND CAME IN THE ORIGINAL COLT BOX WITH HANGING PRICE TAG, (PRICE SAYS $110.00) AND OTHER PAPERWORK. SHE SAID SHE NEVER SEEN HER HUSBAND FIRE IT. ON THE END FLAP OF THE BOX IT SAYS, COLT COBRA REVOLVER, 38 SPECIAL, 2 INCH BLUE. THERE IS ALSO A SMALL BLUE STRIP OF PAPER THAT IS PASTED ON THE FLAP THAT SAYS "SHROUD". THE SERIAL NUMBER IS HAND WRITTEN ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOX,IT IS A88958. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN THIS WAS MADE? HOW MUCH COULD THIS BE WORTH? THANK YOU.

Comments

• helimanheliman Member Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my father in law passed my wife found his 2" Colt Cobra Ser# 87726 with LW under it. She thinks he used it in WW11. Anyone know when it was made? Thanks,
    mcaso
    forgive me if this posts twice as I screwed the first time I tried to post it.
    edited November -1
    Seeking info on Colt Cobra 38 spec. 2 in. barrel serial #86661 LW. Excellant condition except that someone lightly scratched initials on left side plate. Date of man.?. Are all cobras alloy framed?. Can plus Ps be fired in it if only on occasion?. Orig. grips in excellant condition. Payed $225.00 good or bad deal?. Would appreciate a comment on the reliability and ect. of this model. Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I just bought a brand new colt cobra off a guy for $400. The guns has never been shot, it is in immaculate shape it dosent have one scratch anyhwhere on it. It is a blued finish. It also came with the original box and papers, the box is a little beat up but thats the only downfall of the gun. Did I get a good deal on this gun? How much is it worth? The serial # is 74368r and the model # is d3425.
    edited November -1
    How does a Colt Cobra, 1st issue, compare with the Colt Detective Special (.38)? It is lighter & should "kick" a 'lil more, but as a sidearm this should be offset by the lighter weight advantage--No?
    edited November -1
    Went to a gunshow today. Sold a Norinco SKS Sporter to a vendor for $250. I paid $200 for it a month ago. Found a 1st generation Colt Cobra for $375. It has Pachmayr grips and is in about 95% condition. Worth the price? I have a 2 day pass and will go back tomorrow. Opinions?[?][?][?]
    edited November -1
    I have a cobra with sn 60104 from 1976. The crane has a number 60067.
    Is it possible the factory messed up because the numbers are only 37 apart or did some one just change it later. The box end label is for
    number 60104, I thought it was NIB.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A first generation alloy frame Cobra, would date to the 50's, I believe.
    At the very least make sure it's in time, i.e back then their was no such thing as +P ammo. No telling where it's been and what folks have been shooting in it for the last 40+ years.

There is some very good information re timing, at this site.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124746
    edited November -1
    Thanks a lot for the info! If the timing is good would it be a good deal? I had a S&W Model 12 with a 21/2" barrel and let it go. Which is the better choice?[?]
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SMITH 12, although both are good ..imo,,,nambu
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1..... The Smith model 12 has a slightly larger "K" frame, but they are both nice guns.

If the Cobra is in good shape, you got a good deal. I have an early Cobra and it has one of the smoothest double actions I have ever seen.
    edited November -1
    I haven't purchased it yet, but will have an opportunity tomorrow. Thanks![:D]
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1950's Cobra. NIB with the warranty card still, paid $450.00 for it. I think the $395.00 price is OK, but I'd dump the rubber grips & pick up some orignal wood with Tyler T grip adapter.