In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700 ammo jams in ..270 WSM

Steve GriffithSteve Griffith Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 700 in .270 WSM & continuue to have issues with the 2nd cartridge jamming in the magazine after extracting the spent 1st cartridge (or even a non-fired 1st round). This is factory ammo so nothing to do with reloading or case resizing. Is this a known problem w/ the 700 or something unique to my rifle?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I am thinking the rifle was not perfected to the point required to handle short magnum cartridges. I would think the shorties have nearly parallel sides since they are shorter and carry a higher volume of powder which may cause problems in the magazine unless the magazine has been designed correctly.

Sage 1
  • idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know if the 700 magazine has a problem with the short mags or not but most magazine feed problems can be fixed by any competent gunsmith.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve Griffith,

Is this with factory ammunition?

If yes, call Remington Customer Service and explain the problem so they will let you send it back for adjustment.

There are a couple of things it could be but the factory is the place to start.

Best.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Have you had the action out of the stock[?]. If so you did not get the box of the magazine lined up properly to engage into the bottom of the receiver correctly or you may have the magazine spring and follower improperly installed.
  • HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure if this will help you or not? I know that on my Rem. 700 .220 Swift, it is critical how you load the Mag. In my manual it shows two different magazine loadings. One is what I will call a "standard stack." The other which I must use for the .220 is a "reverse stack," sort of: the top cartridge belt is forward of the belt for the cartridge below it! If I load my .220 with the top round behind the lower round it will jam on the lower belt! hope this helps? [:)]
  • HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the Link: http://www.remington.com/pdfs/om/om_7700710.pdf

Actually I was using the wrong verbage to describe the loading in my prior post. The .220 Swift is a "semi-rimmed" round according to Remington, no belt present, thus requiring special loading! I am not sure if the .270 WSM falls into this category or not? Good Luck