In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Merwin Hulbert 38 DA JOY JOY

dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Got one at the gun show today. $100 made it mine. Couldn't even open the action, hammer would not hold full cocked and missing a couple screws. A couple hours of tough love and this unique action is functioning properly. I love old and different guns. I know a lot of people love Colt revolvers and Winchester lever guns but I love the lesser know types.

Questions, it has the folding hammer, should the spur fold up everytime the hammer drops? How reliable is the extraction, will I need a pin to push the shells out of the cylinder? Anyone know what thread the missing screws will be. One is for the center of the side plate and the other is for the back of the trigger guard?

JOY, JOY, the gun still has a lot of nickel, with case on the trigger and hammer. Grips are worn and scratched but not cracked or chipped. Bore may be rough, I just knocked the cobwebs out of it and have not really cleaned it. The action is tight and in time and the chambers are smooth and unpitted. This gun is so lucky I found it and it now has someone to take care of it.

Tim

Comments

• Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..i have cloned lots of screws & one way is to gently try different thread pitches from an assortment or have used wood or plastic dowels screwed in to mark threads & then checked with a pitch gauge...its a kick to have a project like this..double action small or medium frame 32-38 folding hammer spur???? HAVE FUN
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To open the action and extract empties, put hammer in safety notch. Then push the button in front of triggerguard rearward. At the same time rotate the barrel-cylinder assembly clockwise(when viewed from rear)and then forward. The shell rims will be caught by a ring on the faceplate and drop out of the gun.
    I believe but am not certain there is a little flat spring that detents the folding hammer in either position.
    Folding hammers are neato and should find themselves on pocket revolvers today.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35 thanks for the discription of how the action works. I did have that figured out as well as how to remove the barrel and cylinder. I was thinking that the ring that is susposed to hold the case rims looks like the cases might skip over it and not get pulled clear. My hammer does have the detent and spring so the spur stays in each position but when I fire the gun single action style the hammer spur folds up. I was wondering if this is normal.

Thanks

Tim
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Pocket Army 44-40 and the extraction ring is a hit or miss proposition.
    The bullets in unfired cases are supposed to prevent loaded rounds from ejecting. Success may be dependent upon technique.
    You might put a stronger detent spring in the hammer, though rotation of the gun in recoil will tend to close the hammer spur.
    I spoke to a mr Art Phelps in California a few years back who was writing a book on these guns. He had all the answers. Unfortunately, he has since died but did complete the book.
    Mine came from a 90 year old man in the 'late '70s. He insisted it came out of Russia.
    The CZAR took a large shipment from M&H and defaulted on payment, helping M&H into bankruptcy.