In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm 08

clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in Ask the Experts
Some have suggested that i get my wife a 7mm08 instead of a 25-06 I have found both today. Which one is more accurate. We plan on moving from AK, where we will be doing some moose hunting, to the Mid West or some where we will hopefully have the op. to hunt Mullies as well as white tail. I guess what I am asking is will the 7mm 08 have enought umph to kill a moose? And what kind of accuracy will one get out of a 7mm 08? It is a new round to me and I am very unfamiliar with it.

Comments

• NOVA12NOVA12 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7mm/08 is a dandy little round. It's a 308 necked down to 7mm and quite accurate. I can't answer your moose question but it sure smacks the snot out of whitetails!!
  • clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what grain bullet do you shoot out of it. and how hard is the kick is it something that a kid can handle?
  • NOVA12NOVA12 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot 140 grain Ballistic Silvertips, they seem to group the best of factory ammo. I purchased the rifle for my son when he was 13 or 14. He's not a big kid but he had no problem at all with the recoil. My 12 year old nephew used it this past season. It is a model 7 that originally had a youth stock, as my son got bigger I ordered a full size stock from Remington. I love the gun too, and have used it myself to take several deer.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX, or Swift Sirrocco out of a 7-08 will take a moose with a well placed shot.

Recoil is nice, accuracy is good enough for what you need it for. The 7mm bullet is known for it's ballistic effeciency.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7-08 has more than enough for moose. Just pick the proper bullet like a Nosler Partition in 160 grain, or a Barnes TSX, and put it in the right place, and he will be as dead as if he were hit with the 500 wizz bang.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I know several hunters who have shot Maine moose with a 7mm-08 with excellent results. The AK moose are a different species and run about 1/3rd bigger, but the 7mm-08 should handle them with no problem. For moose or elk I would recommend the 7mm-08 over the 25-06. Neither round is more accurate than the other - it will depend more on the particular rifle and the shooter which can be shot more accuratly.
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7-08 is ballistically very similar to the old 7x57, a round that is legendary in Africa. However, the 7x57 made is reputation there with a long, heavy bullet, mostly 175 gr round nose. Huge penetration, has been credited with every animal that walks there, 2 and 4 legged ones.

The point was made earlier that with the right bullet the 7-08 is plenty for moose, if the shot is placed correctly. I concur and emphasize the shot placement and the choice of projectile.
  • Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    The 7mmm-08 is great, but once I shot a 6.5 swede, I was hooked on that round for elk, deer, black bear, and about anything short of grizzly.
  • clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all of your $0.02. I think that I have been sold on getting the wife one now. I saw today what happens to an AK moose today when it is shot right with one. I hope that moose roast tastes as good as what folks say it is.

PS, One of my friends/ my wife SSG his daughter killed a cow today...props to the girl!!!