In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223 14 twist

juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
edited May 2006 in Ask the Experts
does anyone know of a factory bolt rifle chambered in .223 that comes with a 14 twist.

Comments

• HKmanHKman Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey juddroy, I believe Howa has a model in .223 that has either a 12 or 14 twist. I'm not really sure which model it is but your local gun dealer should be able to help you out. Hope this is helpful.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juddroy,

Early Savage model 110's? I'm not certain but I think they used a 1-14" twist. Also, possibly the early Remington 700's I know they used a 1-14" for the .222 I don't don't know if they followed through with that on the .223. Since, at the time the thinking was that 55 gr.s were the biggest one could go in a normal size high power .22. Check those and see if what you come up with. -good luck
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks I'll check into those
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Howa is 1 in 12. Present savage, 1 in 9. Midway sells barrels that are 1 in 14.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juddroy,

Remington has the 40XBBR KS standard with a 1:14" twist.

Your best bet is to look at the .222 Remington which is usually set up with the 1:14" twist.

If it's just because to want to shoot cheap ammunititon then you'll have to look at aftermarket barrels for an existing rifle or switch to an AR-type platform.

If price is a concern, there is a fellow selling Savage receivers at decent prices and you can get a 1:14" twist from several barrel makers. There are also some newer stock designs available that are interesting. You could put together a very nice rifle for far less than the 40X will cost, probably close to factory cost if you shopped right.

Best.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be able to find a clean used 222 with the 1-14" twist and have the chamber reamed out to 223 Rem. if you really want the 223.
    Cheaper than rebarreling.