In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M-70 feeding probs??

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
What is it about them not feeding right...i've heard people talkin'

Whats the deal, Im gettin worried, Im gonna buy one on friday and I want to know if in all reallity I should got with the CHEAPER WASR???

Comments

• bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    neither my M-70 underfolder or either of my WASR-10s have feeding problems. I would actually get the WASR before the yugo, i dont find the underfolder to be comfortable at all to shoot.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I have shot has never jammed
  • magripamagripa Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Gunz

Whats the deal, Im gettin worried, Im gonna buy one on friday and I want to know if in all reallity I should got with the CHEAPER WASR???

Most likely you have parts gun that was assembled buy armature. You will need a good gunsmith to fix the problem. By buying another gun you can face same problem.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by magripa

Most likely you have parts gun that was assembled buy armature. You will need a good gunsmith to fix the problem. By buying another gun you can face same problem.

i didnt buy one...YET, but is armature a company or what???

I was just askin around
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think he meant amateur. you see a lot of M70 kits built on diferent brands of receiver. the M70 i have was built by century on a DCI receiver, these have been proffesionally assembled. watch out for home built kit guns, some are good, but some are unsafe, if it is a kit gun that has been built by somebody, have it checked out by a gunsmith first, before buying it if possible.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright...its by century arms

Thanks
  • magripamagripa Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alright...its by century arms

Thanks

Sorry for confusion caused by my bad typing. Try cleaning gas port with nitro solvent and use copper wire to check if opening connecting port with barrel is not clogged. If the bolt is returning and cocking hammer most likely something is wrong with bolt. You can replace whole bolt assembly or just extractor and extractor spring(about $20 by e-gunparts).
    Did you try to replace magazine?
  • User_NameUser_Name Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The main feeding issue that the bulk of new AK owners experience is due to ammo. Like the 1911 the AK was designed to shoot FMJ only. Unlike the 1911 it was never able to be made to reliably feed soft point or hollow point ammo. I've dealt with many a shooter that brought me a rifle or asked why it won't feed. The first thing I check is the ammo. Next I look at magazine engagment. The front of the magazine is retained by a milled notch in the front trunion. The rear of the magazine is held by a stamped sheet metal paddle pinned in the trigger guard, and the depth of the magazine insertion is set by the plate under the trigger guard that doubles as the selector stop. With the top cover removed and the bolt out of the rifle the fully inserted magazine should rest snuggly under the bolt rails and have VERY minimal movement. The AK is a pretty simple machine and it usually either runs or doesn't, especially in semi-auto.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by User_Name
    The main feeding issue that the bulk of new AK owners experience is due to ammo. Like the 1911 the AK was designed to shoot FMJ only. Unlike the 1911 it was never able to be made to reliably feed soft point or hollow point ammo. I've dealt with many a shooter that brought me a rifle or asked why it won't feed. The first thing I check is the ammo. Next I look at magazine engagment. The front of the magazine is retained by a milled notch in the front trunion. The rear of the magazine is held by a stamped sheet metal paddle pinned in the trigger guard, and the depth of the magazine insertion is set by the plate under the trigger guard that doubles as the selector stop. With the top cover removed and the bolt out of the rifle the fully inserted magazine should rest snuggly under the bolt rails and have VERY minimal movement. The AK is a pretty simple machine and it usually either runs or doesn't, especially in semi-auto.

+1 on the FMJ rule. YOu can mod your AK to shoot HP by dremmel or by shooting lots of FMJ (breaking it in).

Here's a link to ramping the barrel fix the issue with HP ammo.
    http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=296576