In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Most accurate bullet for .357/.38 reloading?

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have a S&W mdl. 67 .38 special that shoots two inch or less groups at 25 yards with Federal 129 grn. hydoshok ammo. I am having trouble coming up with a load that produces similar accuracy. I have use these powders: Bullseye, Unique, H110, 2400, and IMR4227 with the IMR 4227 being the best so far. The best bullet so far has been Speer JSP 158 grain. I have noticed a huge difference in the bullet performance. I would appreciate any info on bullet performance including who makes the best hard cast.

Thanks!
Dan

Comments

• DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO, You will get the best accuracy using full wadcutters. I use the 158 grain semi wadcutters and get excellent accuracy using 4.5 grains unique. Good luck. This is a target load only. Very accurate, but not a lot of power.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Lazercast and ZERO bullets are both very good quality . as far as loads each and every pistol will be different. make sure the barrel is clean if you have shot jacketed bullets as lead after jacket will foul quickly .[:)][:)]EDIT Hello Geeguy I agree that most target shooters do like the hollow base wad cutter bullets they have a longer bearing surface so the bullet is a long ways into the barrel forcing cone before the bullet EXITS the cylinder. Also the hollow base can expand to fill the bore .Both of these features add up to good group size but the hollow base also is slightly unstable with most barrel twist and after about 40 yards with target load velocity the bullet starts to TIP this leads to FLYERS at any thing much over 50 yards. I wish the bullet people would make more designs of hollow base bullets but I have seen hot loads blow the base off and leave part of them in a barrel "NOT GOOD" cheers Karl.
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun after gun, year after year I find the Speer 140 grain jacketed HP hard to beat in 38 Spec and 357s. On the flip side, I find cast semi-wadcutters to almost always be disappointing unless used in a minimum diameter chamber gun. In a standard or oversize chamber, the bottom of the bullet sits on the driving band(s) which get distorted at the moment of ignition before the bullet centers itself in the forcing cone.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    All good information about wad cutters, but you may wish to try Speer HBWC's as these are swedged bullets, and 2.1-2.4 grains of "Clays". This is a common load for Bullseye shooters (Perryshooter may disagree somewhat)and seems to work fine at 50 yds. This is not a "hot" load.

Best of Luck
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    For the 357 try the Hornady 158 gr XTP with a good bit of WW-296, it has always been very accurate and a good hunting load if you do that.......
  • hslaterprycehslaterpryce Member Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with "geeguy" on the Hollow base wadcutters (HWBC) but I used to load with 700X. A little dirty but very accurate. ghs
  • dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the info! It will be most helpful.