In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crosman (Don't Laugh, Please) Rifle Scope

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Just picked up a Crosman 3X9X40 AO (Chinese) airgun scope with rings and base for standard grooved reciever. Can't be worth much (I did pay $30.00) but the glass looks clear and sharp and it has a nice mil spec type dotted crosshair and target style click adjustable windage and elevation nobs.
Thought I'd try it on one of my Ruger 10/22's. Anybody had any experience with these? As in should I waste sighting in ammo or am I guarenteed a disappointing experience?
Thanks,

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't know about your scope but for the most part air gun scopes are made to take the two direction recoil that will some times ruin a good quality high power rifle scope if mounted on an air rifle[:D] .The one thing to be aware of is the Parallax is most likely set for much shorter distance then you shoot with a 10/22[:(].[:0][:0][:0]Edit if the A.O. has the yardage you shoot then it should be fine All the air gun scopes I have seen go from 33feet 10 meters where matches are shot to about 50 yards for hunting with air rifles. If you have a scope that has marks for over 50 yards go with it [:p][:p] I can't imagine a air gun scope with an A.O. for say 100 yards the light pellet with less then great B.C. would have very little velocity left at this range .
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Parallax is most likely set for much shorter distance then you shoot with a 10/22.

Time to put my ignorance on display.
    Is the AO feature on the scope independent of parallax, or would that take care of the problem, as long as properly set?
    Thanks for the help.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The AO is the adjustment on the front bell that has different settings for yardage on it.I have a Simmons air rifle scope on a 10-22 and the AO adjusts from 10yds. to 150.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Checked the AO markings:
    50', 25,50,75,100,200,300 yards and "infinity".
    Looks like I should be o.k. with parallax, assuming no internal damage to scope.
    The Crosman label, and the fact that it was on an air rifle are what led me to believe it is an air gun scope. Now to see if it actually works!