In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

old shotgun/info?

skidlidskidlid Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited October 2003 in Ask the Experts
i have recently aquired an old shotgun, the oly thing that can be read on it is"worlds challenge ejector" stamped on the side. however underneath that stamp you can just make out a previous stamp that says "gold medal wonder". i did a little research and found that the gun may have originally been mfg'd by the h.&d. folsom arm co., this being referenced from the gold medal wonder part; i also found a cross reference to challenge ejector the could have been made for the sears co. by a man named albert aubrey. is there anything more that you may be able to tell me so i can clarify what i acually have?

Comments

• timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Skidlid, Welcome. Did you read the thread "White Powder Wonder" by "swmsm" and the replies to it?

timbroman@aol.com
  • skidlidskidlid Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes i did read that one and it sounds like he is having the same problems finding out exactly what he has also.
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    H&D Folsom Company of New York wasn't a manufacturer. They were a large importer and distributor of firearms and sporting goods.

Your shotgun was made by Crescent Firearms Co. in Norwich, CT. Crescent made many thousands of good quality, inexpensive, "hardware store" shotguns under about a hundred different brand names and trade names for various mail order houses, hardware store chains, and gun distributors.

"Gold Medal Wonder" was a trade name they made for Folsom.

Among the other "Wonder"ful guns made by Crescent, were the "American Bar Lock Wonder" and the "Long Range Wonder" made for Sears, Roebuck. [:D]
    edited November -1
    thank you for the input xracer,i guess i was on the right track. was this model a black powder cartridge or shotgun? i tried a 12ga shell in the chamber (not to fire just for fit) and it seemed very loose.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    A utility gun at best. Safe when new. Questionable today at best.
    Unless you see a damascus (spiral) pattern on the barrel, it's steel.
    Needless to say not a collector's piece.

Nord
  • XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell whether your shotgun was made for blackpowder or modern smokeless powder. Crescent manufactured shotguns from 1892 until about 1930....the early ones were certainly blackpowder, and the late ones were surely smokeless powder guns, but when the changeover occured, and when yours was made.......who knows?

If you're thinking of shooting it, best take it to a good gunsmith for a safety check. He can probably tell you what to shoot in it.
    edited November -1
    yes it is a damascus barrel, and even if its not worth much it looks pretty neat hanging on the old antlers. thanks for all of the help fellas... skidlid[8D]