In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RE: New 45 ACP purchase SA, Colt, or Kimber

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
Decision time is getting close! I'm moving up from my 40 S&W to a 1911-style .45 and have narrowed it to three handguns. I'm into stainless; no polymer. Currently noncompetitive target shooting, but i hope to compete in the future. In addition, a lifetime warranty seems good, but who will be in business thirty years from now is anyone's guess. Detail-specific critiques please, not a generalized "It sucks; piece of junk; best gun I've ever had; et cetera. The Mil-Spec is falling out of favor somewhat because of fit and finish although I prefer the subdued beavertail.

Thanks.

(1) Mil-Spec 1911-A1 PB 9151L Stainless Steel
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9151LLarge.jpg

(2) Colt Government M1991A1 Series 80 Stainless Steel (matte) O1091
http://www.colt.com/CMCI/1991.asp

(3) Kimber Stainless II 3200001
http://www.kimberamerica.com/custom.php

Jim S. California

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I prefer the Springfield because it does not have an internal add on safety system to give you grief. I can easily swap the main spring housing to remove the key lock system. These systems limit a lot of the add on items that I like to put on my 1911 pistols.
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the Colt of which you speak, and it is the best gun I own. Very accurate out of the box, and frankly, sold me on the 1911 as the best pistol design, period. I disagree as to the firing pin block being a problem, but that is personal preference.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Pearyw - To which add on systems are you refering?

Jgreen - I've read the firing pin block is overly complicated, but the Colk I own is built like a brick s**t house, so I can agree with you even though I have not closely examined the system.
  • KJACKKJACK Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I 'll vote for Kimber without the interlock. Mine is more accurate than I can shoot (proven when I passed mine to a friend at the range) and no problems with 200gr LSWC target loads (even wiothout changing the recoil spring).

[Here is a "good guy" report on Kimber. I sent my Custom Classic in for front strap checkering last week. Turnaround (back to me - NY to VA) was 3 business days and work was excellent.]
  • prism133prism133 Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kimber is an excellent handgun it comes with many of the custum parts
    we {1911 lovers} eventually put on ourselves. however my love is with colt, owning four. one 38 super, two 1911's , and one double eagle a colt will make you very happy .
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really can't go wrong with any of them...I love my Colts, but my Kimber was much more accurate right out of the box.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All good...just remember if you get into competitive bullseye shooting you have to take off some of "the bells and whistles" that come with a Kimber. You might just think about buying a NIB Series 70 National Match Colt....they come up for sale everynow and then and really don't cost that much more than some recently made guns. If you want you can trick it out to your heart's content but bring it back to stock if the competitive bug hits you. Beach
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Well, lets see. I admit to having a partiality to Colt but lets throw another fly in the soup. How about one of the Dan Wessons, either the Pointman Major, Seven or Patriot series.
    standard.jpg
    Sorry, just couldn't resist a little show and tell.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
    edited November -1
    LOVE THAT DOUBLE EAGLE
    edited November -1
    MY OFFICERS MODEL IS STAINLESS
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Betcha it weighs a lot more that my Officers Lightweight (25 oz).

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY