In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BROWNING A-5, 20 GA

jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
I NEED SOME HELP ON WHAT THIS MARK MEANS.
I JUST PURCHASED A NON RIB, 1968 A-5, 20 GA. BELG. BROWNING. IT IS ALL ORIGINAL AND LIKE NEW.
ON THE BARREL WHERE THE CHOKE MARKINGS ARE IT HAS A MARKING THAT LOOKS SIMILAR TO THE LETTER g
HERE IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE g**
I KNOW ** MEANS MODIFIED CHOKE BY THERE SELVES. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE g STANDS FOR.
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are you sure its not an S with a slash threw it?($) that would make it skeet. factory skeet guns had the S with slash / thru it in front, to signify it came from the factory as skeet. if a modified was sent back to be bored out to skeet, they would put it at the end of the marks like: * * $. choke marks were all struck by hand and sometimes the strikes could be off making yours to look like a 'g.'
    so....if its looks like : $**, it may be a factory skeet bbl. plain skeet bbls were common in the 60's but today they area novilty and may command collector value. sounds like you have a great gun. let me know.

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • jerry batemanjerry bateman Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI BOBSKI
    I HAVE HAD SOME SKEET BARRELS WITH THE $ SIGN.
    IT A SMALL g**
    THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let me call my buddy at the browning collectors assoc. he'll tell me. hang on!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.