In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is best to use dirty wood

Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in Ask the Experts
Trying to clean stock , and wood over barrel on old 303 I got given to me . I,ve tried hoppe's , nitro clp , orange oil stuff , and old english . The gun sat in a closet for around 45 yrs . The stock looks a little better , but it,s still pretty dirty . If I can only get wood to look like bore ( it clened right up and is mirror ) . Any ideas would be helpful short of refinishing .

VLR3m-28.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!

Comments

• KdubKdub Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard of people using oven cleaner, gasoline, tool cleaning solvent, etc. All will work, given time and elbow grease expenditure. One fellow even uses a driveway oil/grease cleaner he gets from Home Depot. Makes up a solution in the bathtub (must be single!) and soaks the stock in it until the grime is removed. Me, think I'll stick with a hand cleaner compound, stiff brush and lots of scrubbing.

Keep off the Ridgeline
  • Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for info. [:)] Wife loves her tub I would end up getting shot with the gun . [xx(] .

qman_lr_105t.jpg

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    BROWNELL'S HAS 'WHITING' (083-032-100)MIX WITH TRI-CLEANERS OR LAQUER THINNER. SPREAD ON THE STAINED AREA AND AS THE SOLVENT EVAPORATES IT DRAWS OUT THE OIL THAT CAUSES THE STAIN.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use plain old hair shampoo for greasey hair. soak it in the tub with warm water. wife wont mind. she'll think youre washing the tub!

former air operations officer SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team 2. former navy skeet team, navy rifle/pistol team member. co-owner skeetmaster tubes inc.. owner/operator professional shooting instruction.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I use Formula 409 Citrus Cleaner, it degreases without damaging the wood.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
    edited November -1
    Wife said if I was cleaning the tub she'd know something was wrong .[:0]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For cleaning military stocks I found that acetone works well. (Only use outdoors with protective rubber gloves.) If grease has soaked in, follow up with repeated warming & cleaning; I sit it on the dash of my car in the sun for a day or so to bring out the grease.

Once clean, protect the stock with boiled linseed oil or tung oil.

Neal
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have tried all of the above. But when I learned of a method over on Parallax's board, I became a convert.

Go to Wal Mart and buy a gallon of Purple Power from the automotive section. Put in a spray bottle.

Put the gun in a sink or outdoors. Spray with purple power. Let sit ten minutes. Spray again. Keep doing this until no more gunk is running off. Finish by rinsing with about as hot of water as you can comfortably handle. Buff lightly with 0000 steel wool. The result will be COMPLETELY free of grease, dirt... and original finish, as a warning to some who just want to clean, not refinish. A few coats of your choice of Linseed, Tung Oil, LinSpeed, or various stains, seals, etc, and you are all set.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • scksck Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The folks above have all provided good advise. However, whatever you do, DO NOT USE OVEN CLENER. Years ago somebody tried it and it seemed to work. The only problem is that no matter how much water you put on the stock to rinse it, you can never fully neutralize the acid in the oven cleaner. It might look good, but one, two or five years later when you take the stock off of the rifle you will find the metal pitted from the acid that leached out of the stock. Best of luck.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the posts . Got lots of directions to go in . Keep ya posted . Oh before I forget . Grandad stopped by to drop off the sling , and adjustment buckles ( not sure what they are called ) . The sling was still rolled up , and not used . Said he might heve bayonet kicking around . Once again a big thanks . [8D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

• RH2OMANRH2OMAN Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the whiting method on a P-14 .303. Worked very well in pulling the oil out of the stock. Took several applications and I put it out in the sun to help it work. This was an issue stock that had no grease or varnish on it.

I hsve an old Parker shotgun that had a stock that was black with dirt and grease. I tried wiping it down with mineral spirits but nothing happened. I used a dilute ammonia solution and it removed all the black junk. It also did not damage the original finish. Put a small amount of a high quality paste wax on it and it looks great.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    The following is from the doubleguns website. These guys restore classic fine double shotguns and are experts. This method will completely clean and degrease/deoil the wood.

Wonkos brew

Old Finish Removal

Get a disposable aluminum roaster pan at the supermarket that is large enough for the stock. Stop by your Home Depot or whatever and get a gallon of acetone and a gallon of alcohol. If the stock has a plastic finish you might want a can of some paste stripper too. Use that first if the outside finish requires it. If the stock has a varnish or oil finish the acetone will lift that with no problem. Then toss the stock in the roaster and pour in the acetone (it will also neutralize the paste stripper). Cover the wood until it floats. Then pull off a good length of aluminum foil and make a cover for the "tank", sealing it as well as possible. Be aware that acetone is highly volatile and smoking the cigar over the top of it is not recommended. Let the things soak for several days, turning the wood over a couple times a day. When you feel like you're tired of that, and the acetone looks like it has quit changing color, pour the acetone back in the can, rinse the roaster out with alcohol, and then soak the stock in the alcohol just like you did in the acetone. When you yank the baby out of the alcohol bath it will be CLEAN! And you can seal it and refinish it anyway you want after you let it dry a couple days.

Signature:

Signature checkbox
    checked by default?: Yes No