In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45-70 or 450 mag. ?

Stormtrooper 13Stormtrooper 13 Member Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Been considering buying a new rifle for the last couple of months . I've settled on a Marlin 1895 , because the first rifle my dad gave me was a model 88 . That's the rifle I learned to shoot with , and I don't like pump rifles much .
The reason for this is I'm a righty that shots left . Never owned , or shot a left handed gun . Just don't feel right . Although I shot bow right handed ( dad also gave me my first one right handed of course ) . Still try to close wrong eye first couple of arrows after shooting groundhogs all summer .
Been watching auction for a good deal on a gun , but havn't seen one yet . I can buy new rifle + tax cheaper . Even most of the used stuff .
The only thing is I can't decide on a calib. Right now I'm leaning toward the 450 , but have been told a 45-70 handloaded will outperform the 450 . Trouble is I don't handload . I do know some people who do .
Any opinions , data , or info would be helpful , before I buy .

Thanks [8D]

qman_lr_105t.jpg

Only the strong shall survive !!!

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    45/70

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    What I said over on the general discussion board.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    In the 1895 Marlin the 450 Marlin cannot do anything that a good reload can't do from the 45-70. 45-70 factory ammo will be available in just about every Mom&Pop shop in the nation, 450 Marlin will not.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

Buy firearms on the installment plan and Play while you Pay.

aglore@gci.net
  • RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 450 is a kicking mule with Hornady factory ammo. As stated above, 45-70 handloads in the Marlin can be hopped up to equal the 450. 45-70 brass is cheaper and factory ammo is easier to find.
  • easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    45/70

...for all the reasons stated above.

SEMPER FI
  • HoundDogHoundDog Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Marlin 1895G in 45-70 and my buddy owns a Marlin 1895 in 450.
    Mine kicks like a mule, his kicks like a team of mules. My ammo (factory) is cheaper than his and my ammo (factory again) can take down any animal in North America. I REALLY enjoy shooting mine, he's afraid to shoot his.

Pretty much a no brainer if you ask me.

Who ever said there aint no sportin hunting with hounds, never tried to keep up with MY dogs