In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Kel-Tec PF-9

bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Any feedback on the new 9mm from Kel-tec? Good, bad, or I don't want to know.
Looking for a reliable light weight carry gun for the summer months.

Comments

• john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I don't have a PF-9 but I did buy a P-11 a few months ago preparatory to applying for a CCW, which I haven't done yet. I would urge you to try one of these PF-9s before you buy it, based on my experience with the P-11.

My hands are a little beefy, and without a trigger shoe it dragged the skin of my trigger finger finger up into where the trigger goes into the frame, little painful. Then after installing a trigger shoe it pinches the other side of the finger between the bottom of the trigger and the bottom of the trigger guard. Hard to visualise but described the best way I know how. I've never gotten used to the 8.5 lb. trigger pull either. It's a two stage trigger let-off and takes some getting used to there also.

It has substantial recoil and the grip beats up the large thumb joint of my left hand. My right hand, forget it, doesn't fit at all.

On the plus side it fires and ejects each time you pull the trigger and it is of a size which can easily be concealed. Good luck with the PF-9, but I think you should try it out first.
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got one and it works really well. Slimmer than the P11. Recoil is noticeable, but the gun is very light weight. Great for packing while wearing shorts. Not lasting long in shops.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased one three weeks ago amd am very happy with it. I have taken it to the range twice. 50 shells each time. First trip I had a few FTF. Second trip with Magtech ammo it feed just fine. It is a bit small so if you have large hands you will need to watch it or it will get hit with the slide. I have not had any problems with my finger on the trigger.

Recoil is noticiable. My wife is comfortable shooting her XD-9 subcompact, but did not like the PF-9. First shot was kind of a surprise to her. Second shot she dropped the barrel anticipating the recoil and then after the third shot she just put it down on the bench.

I am not a great shot but I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy of it. At 20 ft I was shooting 12 inch patterns with the PF-9. As a reference I then shot my Walther P-99 and I was shooting 4 inch patterns.
    IMG_3131.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    Regards, MAALOX
  • PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I now have 500 rounds through mine, 100% reliability right out of the box. Including FMJ, Gold Dots, Silvertips, and Powerball ammo. It is light and thin, the +P ammo will wake you up.
  • MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Kel-Tec website says 6000 round minimum life for all their pistols. Anyone know how many rounds you could put through the PF-9 before it became unreliable?
    Regards, MAALOX
  • PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maalox
    The Kel-Tec website says 6000 round minimum life for all their pistols. Anyone know how many rounds you could put through the PF-9 before it became unreliable?

Think it is too new for anyone to have that sort of round count through one. But I have a P-11 that has over 5000 rounds through (quit counting) and it still functions fine.