In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mosin Nagant value

Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
Looking to make some room in the gun safe. How much can I get for a mosin nagant that:

--the bad--
has mismatched numbers,
czarist marks removed,
re-varnished stock,

--the good--
good bore,
with detachable bayonet,
made in 1915,
not a carbine but the full size rifle.

MN.JPG

Comments

• Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Mosin Nagant m 91/30. All the numbers match,it has new finish and bayonet with ammo pouch and sling and oil bottle. It says 1943 with soviet markings. It is in original condition hammer sickle mark with what looks like wheat around it. unissued What would be the value
  • Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of them on the market right now.......I've been picking them up for around $89.95 in the condition you describe. That's a dealer price; retail is running $125-150.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of these are collectible and may bring a premium I concur with the german gentleman on the price for shooters.

There is a website devoted to the Mosin Nagant:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/arsenal.htm

You can research about the markings to determine if you have an ordinary shooter (most likely) or a rare version.

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • 3_47Inf3_47Inf Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the moment, you are not going to get more than $100-$125 for it. It sounds like a rearsenalled piece so it will not have the value of agood clean authentic. I just sold one dated 1934, manufactured at the Itzehsky (SP?) works, in poor condition for $70.00. And I was lucky to get that.

You have a very common rifle. 91/30s are great shooters and a lot of fun, but they are a poor man's rifle. There are hundreds of thousands floating around right now.

Sorry.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Southern Ohio Gun had the MN 91/30 rifles in excellent condition available this month (August) for $82.35 with the bayonet, sling, oil bottle, and ammo pouch included. At some point in time the Russians will run out of these surplus MN rifles and the supply will dry up...but there are probably still hundreds of thousands sitting in depots right now waiting to be exported.

Mark T. Christian
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: At the moment, you are not going to get more than $100-$125 for it. It sounds like a rearsenalled piece so it will not have the value of agood clean authentic. I just sold one dated 1934, manufactured at the Itzehsky (SP?) works, in poor condition for $70.00. And I was lucky to get that.

You have a very common rifle. 91/30s are great shooters and a lot of fun, but they are a poor man's rifle. There are hundreds of thousands floating around right now.

Sorry.Actually the ones that were reworked with Liege barrels command a premium.

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • .41Dude.41Dude Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning all. I do not own a Mosin-Nagant YET. But plan on buying a couple. I own two Lee-Enfields in original military condition.
    I am sure some of the more seasoned members [;)] remember when Enfields could be picked up for $50.00 or less. Now try to find one that has not been chopped up by some backyard gunsmith looking to make a sporter out of it. Good Luck. Someday we will be looking back at the good old days (2003) and kicking ourselves for not putting a couple of MN's into the back of the closet. I have read a couple of articles about what great "shooters" they are. Sounds like fun.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
  • dotcom_guy30dotcom_guy30 Member Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probly one hundred and fixty bucks now if the gun was a vet bring back in its original conditon it would probly brimng a hefty price
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .41 I agree with you they are great old war horses with a great history. They are good shooters, fun to shoot with cheap cheap milsurp ammo and good for hunting deer and hogs.
    When you are ready to buy take a good look at the Finnish M39, the most accurate Mosin ever.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .41 dude,

I agree & am going to start stocking up on these. AIM has some good deals on these right now. Check out:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Specials_.html#a210

So does FAC

http://www.gunsnstuff.net/p/036f.html

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stocking up in good surplus guns is a good idea. I wish I knew it sooner. A couple years ago I bought two Husqvarna Swede Mausers from a pawn shop for $120 each. I sold them for $150 each and kick myself everytime I see the prices of nice Swedes now.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.