In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel life for .44 mag

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I was just reading up on some things about barrel life and I was thinking,
I have a henery big boy in .44 magnum, how long do you think it would take to have significant wear on the barrel?, I shoot jacketed and lead rounds through it.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    keep it clean and take care of it, and you could get a lifetime from it. sustained rapid fire is the only way i know that guarantees a short barrel life.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a Ruger Super Redhawk that I bought brand new back in 1987. To date, I have shot greater than 60,000 rounds through... and most of them were not wimpy factory loads[}:)]. Over a period of almost 5-years, I averaged right at 1,000 rounds a month while competing in big bore IHMSA matches. My pet competition load was a Sierra 220 gr FMJ-SIL bullet sitting on top of 26.5 grains of WW-296[:0]. The bore still looks like it is brand new[^].
  • Options
    One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    The bore on your rifle will more than likely outlive you.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Pressure and temperature don't reach high enough levels in the .44 Magnum to prematurely erode the barrel like some of the super magnum rifle cartridges do.

Shoot it and enjoy it. Follow the advice from the other posters about cleaning.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have never heard of anybody concerned about barrel life. I have 12 guns and everybody i know has at least five. They are all of different sizes shapes and colors, and no barrels were worn out. BEing dirty and shooting some odd ball ammo will probably be the only factor to wear your gun out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nards - I shot out a mini-14 (keyholes at 10 paces) with about 3500 rounds, almost all winchester white box factory, most of it rapid fire. Can be done... just takes work :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    a mini-14 isn't in .44 magnum, also how did you shoot it really fast all at once, or like you were trying to aim. I prefer the later
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have created a monster!
    7.62 is now acting snooty.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    better than an sweetie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Aimed fire, but not bench shootign for groups. Gongs as about 150 yards, some IPSC/IDPA type stuff (but with the rifle), etc.