In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another High Standard Question

bfensterbfenster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Thank you "bobski", "perry shooter", "b.goforth" and "jaflowers" for the responses to my now locked topic: "Current High Standard". I have a somewhat related question and you folks are a great source of expertise.

I may have an opportunity to purchase for $600, a low usage Supermatic Citation Military series 106 s/n 1595302. Seems good to me but with so much variability in the High Standards I'm hesitant (gun shy) to buy without some knowledgeable opinions. Would be used for Bullseye competition. Currently using Buck Mark Field 5.5"

Thank, Bruce

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the problem with 106 military guns is they are a dime a dozen. many do collect them because they were the first military framed guns, but they are the most 'resold' design hi std on the market. he's offering you the 106 for about 50 too high. any flaws, mismatched serial numbers, bbl swaps, drilled and tapped parts for optics, or non factory mags, will destroy a guns value. 102 thru 104's are the most in demand. look on the back grip strap of that 106 and tell me what you see? a bullet shaped brass plug? its was the only way they could figure out how to get the mainspring in the gun. they drilled a hole and plugged it with brass! that brass plug corrodes with time and turns green inside. it will gum up over 35 years. (106 series = 1965) and too, that rear sight bridge is going to jam your fingernail on that 106 someday and youll think of me when you cycle your slide. instead of pulling the slide back, you have to push it. its a pain in the butt.

my gun for less than that, is a better deal. trust me. mine is in 99% (low mileage) and its a 'slant grip.' that 106 is a military gun. dont ever pass on a slant grip under 600.00. collectors will faint. last call. email me! ps...i can provide a 10x proof target with my gun. i shot it! mine is a tack driver. it will outshoot you. the reason im so sure my gun is what you need is you stated you want it for match. looks dont win trophies. tack drivers do. guys just pay their match fees and leave when i show up on the range with my 49 year old guns![:D] and fyi..no need to be shy around me with hi stds...i tell all! as a gb member, i want you to have the best. ALL my guns are the best. no junk in my safe, folks.[;)]
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=49921298
    ps...what are your current scores on no wind indoor matches? give me an idea where you stand in your ability. the reason im asking is if a beginner buys a gun that can outshoot him, it gives him room to improve without distractions to block concentration. the gun will do the mechanical work, leaving the shooter to do the other 99% of the game...'think the bullet into the x.' with a 106, youre gonna be thinking about that sight ramp and the pain it may cause! that is a major distraction. try holding a 6 oclock at 50yds with a throbbing finger someday![:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • bfensterbfenster Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob,

I will pass on that Military 106. I would not have purchased it unless it had been the bargain of the century. I checked your auction and I'm sure it's very, very fine. The info you requested about my shooting is below and kind of explains why I'm passing on your Citation.

My shooting: I'm just getting into it again. I'm an old fart with limited experience in competition as follows. First shot competition in the Army in 1964 for less than a year. I was at Fort Jay, it was a casual thing. My only claim to fame was we went to the 1st Army Match at Fort Dix and I got "2nd place new shooter" with an Army supplied Ruger .22 and not much practice time. Left the Army in 1965 (I had been drafted for 2 years). I took it up again for less than a year in 1967 where I shot in an 18 week outdoor league and averaged 271 with my Browning Medalist. Sold the Medalist. That was it, haven't shot since and at this point, before I get overly excited, I'm looking to see if I can at least match what I used to shoot. I won't be happy if I can't ultimately improve on it. Age will no doubt force me to use a red dot which feels a bit like cheating but blurry sights don't cut it.

If I do well enough to stay with it I will no doubt want something accurate enough that I know the bad shots are me and not the gun. For now I will see what I can do with my Buck Mark Field.

Interestingly, in the middle of this email I got a call from High Standard. I had requested info from them. He sounded confident that they will be in business for some time. Lead time on 10X is 30-45 days. Shea 10X 1 year. I'm thinking a standard 10X is probably as good as Bob's but won't have the same re-sell value. What say you to that b.goforth? How old is Bob anyway? He must be getting up there with me.

Bruce
  • b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    i will say again. i would not purchase anything high standard of houston is building today.
    bill
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Go with an older High Standard a texas 10X will be nothing like a Bob Shea gun You are not compareing apples to apples but rather apples to "ROAD" apples . For you non country boys a road apple is some thing a horse leaves in the middle of the road. I still like the older Victor and if you want to shoot red Dot, If your old eyes are as bad indoors as my old eyes you can buy a lightweight barrel from brownell's and put a red dot on it for great balance. "I missed goint to PERRY in 1965 as new shooter for 25INF. division by 14 days went to Nam instead" But I made up for it by going to CAMP PERRY 34 times and got to shoot on the MAYLEIGH CUP TEAM with a $85.00 High Standard with light weight barrel and $1.50 a box ammo. Me 6 Hammerlie's and 3 other high dollar pistols.
    edited November -1
    i wish my fellow buds here would help me sell this guy my citation! he's prime candidate for it! heck, the bullseye grips are worth 50 alone!
    hey perry! i use to jump with 25th INF. do you remember the DZ in the pineapple fields at the top of the mountain pass?
    standard 10x's are built at houston. like goforth says...if it isnt bob sheas, dont do it. your paying twice as much for a gun with less than 1/2 the quality of a standard 102 citation.
    in other words...id put my 102 up against a 10x today....and win. you just cant getthat kind of accuracy for under 600 anymore. it was the golden age of 22's. seriously think before you plop it down. free coaching from yours truly if you go with mine. buy a houston gun? call their hotline and talk to al. tell em bob ski sent you and says hello. he'll remember me. i was the guy on the navy pistol team that ordered 4 guns (2 10x's) and 2 of them had ribs installed on the sides of the bbl instead of on top. i swear its a true story! they tapped them out of jig 45deg off!
    heres one of the good ones...

129-2948_IMG.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Bobski, you know Capt. Kirk does not allow offers to buy/sell on this board, so we are just keeping our noses clean.
    edited November -1
    try again hedog...its an auction. see my link above.[8]

guess that makes it a plug, which is ok, now doesnt it?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • jaflowersjaflowers Member Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I have to say my S-101 small push button is still my favorite (have 2 just in case[:)]) and easiest to shoot well of all my HS pistols but the Texas 10X Victor by Shea I have is an absolute tack driver. It just took awhile to break in. Any of the 101-106 Series Hamden made pistols you get are worth the money. Try to stick with the Trophy or Supermatic madels as they were the best. Unless it's a "show stopper" incredible piece don't go over $550. In the box in 99% condition with everything you could go as high as $750 but it better be flawless. Hope you find one you are happy with. Good luck and good shooting.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I looked at what you said you used to shoot Both the ruger and browning medalist had a slope grip so this might feel better To you. If that is the case a early slope grip High standard will never go down in value & might be a good choice. the light weight barrel will fit on theses Also and you can shoot Iron sights outdoores.. and red dot in low light.
    edited November -1
    thanks for your insight, perry. i thought maybe i was talking to myself on this issue![:I]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.