In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

over/unders

leotleot Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
what is a good over/under to shoot skeet with for under a $1000.00
just starting out and dont want to spend a lot. I have been looking at the tristar silver any feed back would be liked

Comments

• Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    Lanber makes a good O/U for less than 1k. High quality Spainish manufacture. I have also had decent luck with the EAA/Baikal/ Remington Spartan guns. Not as nice as the Spanish guns but the Ruskies know how to built them stout.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion is a Verona or Franchi If you check around you can still get an Alcione for less than a grand. -good luck
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a used browning citori. period.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You certainly will buy more gun for the money in that price range if you buy used than if you buy new. Much of the price increase above about $1500-$2000 in new guns is in cosmetics: better fit and finish, better engraving and so on. The guns are the same or nearly so. The lower grade Citoris, Red labels, Franchis (I found a pre-owned, unfired Franchi for under $1K) and perhaps some Berettas among others. I would be careful of Verona, it was a trade name for guns from several manufacturers sold for only a couple of years, and quality was uneven among the makers. Some are pretty good, some are pretty poor with cosmetics to conceal the low quality. The company that sold Veronas is out of business and parts may be challenging to get. You will need to know which manufacturer made your model and get the part from them. Most were Italian made as near as I can tell.

The main thing you want to be sure of is that the gun fits you like your own hand and that it mounts perfectly for you every time. Good Luck!
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    I agree, my Ruger Red Label works very well. I also second He Dog, look for a used one. I was very surprised how many quality o/u were for sale.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rem 332,,Ruger,,Stoeger Condor's ,,and on and on[:D]
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just a note. Some of the european made guns have a lot of cast in the stock. I have found that only about 1 in 10 will give me a proper sight picture (close your eyes and pull the gun into position then open your eyes and see if you are looking directly down the barrel). I've seen some with nearly as much curve as a hockey stick. If you go with one of these make sure it "fits" you. The mossbergs seem to be a bit more consistent in this area. Every one I have picked up is dead on for me. Can't speak for how they shoot though. I've fondled many but shot none. Many of the O/Us have way to much wood up front. It's like trying to cradle a 2x4.
  • leotleot Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is harder than buying a new car, there are alot of great guns for sale. Want lenth barrels should I get 26" or 28" ported or not?
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Beretta Whitewing that I picked up used from a world champion. He used it in his youth as his training gun in competitions around the country. It shoots MUCH BETTER than I ever will!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beyond about 16" or 18" barrel length is pretty immaterial with regard to burning the powder load. It can make a world of difference in who the shotgun balances and handles. You get the barrel length that handles best for you when you are trying them on. If you are spending a grand or more you will want to find a gun that fits you. DO NOT buy with out a try.