In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 70 - Pre 64 QUESTIONS

csaw6589csaw6589 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester Model 70, Pre-64 manufactured in 1949 that is chambered in .30-06 caliber. Serial # is 129630

I have a few questions, any help would be appreciated.

1) The barrel is stamped ".30 Gov't '06", other than being a 30-06 caliber what does the "Govt" stamping signify?

2) How do I determine the barrel length? Read another post and could not understand how to properly measure the barrel.

3) This rifle will be added to the GunBroker Auction here shortly, is $700 a resonable reserve price?

Rifle has a 4x Banner by Bushnell scope, Brauer Bros. sling and a white line recoil pad. This gun to my knowledge was purchased originally by my Grandfather as first owner and has regular wear marks and is all intact, excellent bore and action.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (1) The U.S Army's Springfield armory was the creator of the 30-06 cartridge, hence for many years it was referred to as the "30 GOV'T 1906"

(2) The correct way to measure the barrel length is from the muzzle to the bolt face. Close the bolt on an empty chamber, and gently drop a cleaning rod down the bore until it bottoms out... mark and measure the rod.

(3) No idea... I can't see your rifle to determine the graded condition. Try posting a few pictures of it here... you will need to have them before try selling it on Gunbroker.
  • cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scope adds very little if any value, stock has been cut with pad added detracts from value. if you get $700 for it you are lucky as the 30-06 was the most common caliber and doesn't interest collectors.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, it it is not near 98% and + condition it is really a shooter, albiet probably a very nice one. Lot of pre-64 -06s out there to choose from. The scope would be something I would immediately replace, so would not bid another $1 for having it there, same with rings and bases in all likelihood. Still that is probably the ball park it will sell in if not too worn. Setting $700 as your reserve or opening price, may not get it sold.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putting a reserve on any auction is like trying to teach a cat to sing: It is a waste of your time, & it is annoying to the cat.

If you want to sell the rifle, list it with a starting price that is is the minimum you would be willing to accept. If you get no bids, then you know that your minimum was unrealistic. Don't play games.

Neal
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Don't play games."... NEAL HAS IT RIGHT, START IT AT $500 W/NO RESERVE AND YOU GET MORE INTREST.
  • csaw6589csaw6589 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info and advice. I will get it listed starting at $500 without a reserve. I would agree that sounds about the best way to go.

Thanks for all the feedback and input!

Chris
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1