In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flintlock Rifle Questions

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a used Dixie Flintlock Rifle - 45 cal - 41" barrel.
First question: What are the design differences between a Pennsylvania Rifle and a Kentucky Rifle. Second question: What size ball and what FFg or FFFg Black Powder load do you recommend for this rifle? I'll use FFFFg in the pan.Any patch & lube recommendation?Third question: Are there some type of leather slings available for this type rifle since it has no sling swivels? Perhaps something that can be tied on to the barrel and the stock?
Thanks
John

Forgive Your Enemies - But Remember Their Names
(John F. Kennedy)

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm looking to pick up a flintlock rifle. Not real sure why, but I've wanted one for a while. Think it would be fun. I don't have any experience with black powder. I'm not looking for an expensive one. Just something to play with that is reasonable accurate for the price. Give me an idea on barrel twist. Would a 1 in 48 be the best for the widest range in bullet type? Also, how hard is it to assemble one of the unfinished kits? I like the idea of assembling it myself. Seems like it would help me learn the rifle as well.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    There is no real difference between a KY and PA rifle. They were first made in PA but saw a lot of use in KY, I believe.

I use .440 balls, but use whatever works best for you with your chosen patch. In any even, no bigger than .445.

FFFG powder in the barrel, FFFFG in the pan.

I've never seen a sling on one of these personally but am sure it has been done. You'd probably just have to drill it and put in standard swivels for a sling, just don't go too far foward as the forestock is very thin.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Jonk was right as to the difference between Ky long rifles and Penn. Long rifles, same animal! The rule of thumb on black powder is 50 cal and up use FFg, 50 cal and below use FFFg in the barrel. 50 cal is the breaking point and will use either one. Many will say use 4F in the pan but if the frizzen throws a good spark you can use the same in the pan as you load with. I have a 45 cal custom Ky long rifle that I use 50 grains of FFF and I prime the pan with the same FFF powder. As to ball the standerd size for 45 cal is .440 with a .010 to .015 lubed patch. As the barrel gets shot out, it takes thousands upon thousands of shots to do, you can increase the size of the ball. The next size ball readily found would be a .495. As to a sling, they were not used in the days of old but for convience we tend to use them now. A guitar strap that is made of cloth with leather tie ends on it makes a really good strap. just tie one end around the upper end of the barrel where a ramrod thimblw is and the other end behind the trigger gaurd. Most all of the guns that had slings in the 18th century were military guns and not civilian guns as the Ky long rifle would be. One thing is keep in mind to use GOOD flints in her. I like the good black English flints myself that you can get from several muzzle loader supply stores. Here are some on line:
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com
    http://wwwlogcabinshop.com
    Look at these suppliers for any thing you need and there are more but these are ones that cover most all for any type of muzzle loader. Be careful because shooting flinters can be addicting!
    Also check these shops for the gun sling that Powdersmoke was talking about.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    All good advice from these folks...I also use 3F in the gun,it WILL work in the pan,however I have found the 4F is so much easier to ignite and faster that it is worth it to me.I keep a very short,flat hand horn with the stuff for priming.Round ball,oh ya,a man of my own heart,ya...anyhow,yup,.440 ball,I use the prelubed pathes from OX-YOKE.I gave found they work best in my 45....The slings they r talkin about work fine,ifin you don't wanna put sling swivels on her,(I didn't)Sometimes you can get a gooddeal on them and other gear on flee bay...Also I alike the dark flints as well i made a little fold up flint wallet to keep em in the possibles bag....I used the "knee"skin from a deer to make a cover for the lock area during bad weather.....works well.....L.H.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Guys - I'm going to print out all the above info and put in my binder. I always had a thing for the "long rifles" - I guess because I've read so much about the French & Indian War and Revolutionary War. This is the first one I've ever owned. I have some BP revolvers and a 58 cal Zouave and a 50 cal Hawken Style Flintlock. I'm going to check into buying a tie-on sling and I think I have a Lee mold for .440 balls.
    Again, thanks for all the advice - I appreciate it.
    John

(John F. Kennedy)
  • Options
    RhondaRhonda Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was looking at my new Cabela's catalog. Has a tie on sling for about $30.00. Might also check Track of the Wolf at www.trackofthewolf.com.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rhonda - I'll check it out..
    John

(John F. Kennedy)