In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S & B Ammo

queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
For getting new brass I bought 1 Doz. 50 rnd boxes of S&B 158 gr. R.N.L 38 spl. This stuff was all up and down the crono. Some of it split the case and some of it sounded like a sqib load. Velocity was extremely wide range. Anybody have any experience like this with this stuff?

You'v gota kill it to grill it

Comments

• gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Like it says on the box; if for any reason you are dissatisfied by our product, feel free to let us know, and we'll replace it.

If you know it all; you must have been listening.WEAR EAR PROTECTION!
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, sounds unusual to me. I've never had any problems with S&B ammo. Who did you buy the ammo from? How old is it? And what kind of conditions was it stored in?
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with other calibers, you might have just had a bad batch. This is usually a quality brand.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is usually good stuff. Maybe it was made during their recent heatwave. Since 38 brass lasts a long time, you would have been much better off just buying some once fired brass--it's usually cheap and plentiful and you usually get better brass.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    S&B brass usually last for ever in other calibers, I can't imagine how long the 38 brass would last. Sounds like a bad batch.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it and never had a problem.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun has!
  • queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the great feedback. After the first 6 rounds I blew the rest up in a Rugar 357. In looking at the primers it seems to be about 10% of the stuff is very hot. 1 or 2 split cases per box and 5/6 with severly cratered primers. I looked 3 times and do not see anywhere [ if not satisfied return and we will replace ] or anything like those words. There is no lot # or I would post it. It came from boats and guns in Kokomo Ind. Thanks again for all the input.
    Queeks

You'v gota kill it to grill it