In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Revolver Information

tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for information on a revolver that a friend of mine wants to sell.

The gun is marked on the top of the frame "The Bull-Dog", is nickle plated, has an approximate 2 inch barrel and from looking at it I would say its about a 44 caliber. The barrel is octaginal and it has an unusally ejector rod which pulls out of the center of the cylinder and swings down to line up with the ports. Its also double action. Not other markings accept for a small L and 38 near the base of the barrel, maybe that means 38 cal but the barrel is bigger than any 38's I've seen.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Belgian made "Bulldog" Revolver, similar to this one.

arm_0011.jpg

"Bulldog" revolvers were also made in the States and England. The Belgian ones are probably the most common though. They date to the last quarter of the 19th Century. Not worth a heck of a lot of money. They were sold as inexpensive personal protection handguns. Not wise to shoot them, as they were chambered for low pressure black powder cartridges.
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you post a photo? Open loading gate and look for an ELG in circle proofmark on cylinder face, which will confirm it's Belgian. Probably resembles one shown by Rufe-Snow, but most have round barrels, not octagon. And the "chrome" is likely nickel plate.
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep its got the ELG marking on the cylinder - Thanks

Can't put a picture up at this time, but is identical to the one rufe-snow put up, except for the octogon barrel.