In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DONT YOU DARE!!!

SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
edited May 2009 in Ask the Experts
that's what the mrs said when i told her i was gonna use some 22lr shotshells on that stray dog that just dug up one of my gardens!
so what else do you use these things for?
i have some CCI that cost 7 bucks for 20 and i don't kill snakes and i don't kill birds just for "sport".
so what else do you use 'em for?

Comments

• ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the old time trick shooters used them to break targets mid air while letting the watchers assume that they were using regular ammo..
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First try the animal control officer.

If that does not pan out then go to paint ball gun, or a low powered air rifle(400FPS or under), and use a BB that will not penetrate but sting. Then as a last option I would use something that will get the job done...like an accurate 22WMR to the ear canal.

Make the call to the ACO first and let him know about your problem. I am sure he would take care of the problem.

Best

quote:Some of the old time trick shooters used them to break targets mid air while letting the watchers assume that they were using regular ammo..

I done that at my cabin in the Adirondacks with some dragon flies once, when we were having a cookout with some friends...almost got me lynched by my own friends when they caught on.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some states malicious wounding of animals can land you in hot water, including jail time. Shoot to kill or trap it and turn it over to the dog catcher. What have the dogs owner said?
  • jcorljcorl Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He said it was a stray, so I assume it has no owner. Feed it. Capture it. Then dump it down the road to the next guy.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .22 shotshells work well on rats out to 15'; they just roll over dead, & the neighbors don't hear a thing.

Neal
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr. Plumber,

First rule of gun safety,

NEVER point a gun at anything you do not intend to KILL! after all, that is what guns are designed for.

Go to the animal control, rather than call, they should have a live trap to capture the offending animal.

Jim
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you can still buy Daisey Red Ryder type BB guns for less than 20 bucks.They wiil sting but not penetrate.
  • captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Use Animal Control.....If someone Pops the Crittur with a BB Gun or a Pellet Gun, You stand the risk of getting the Blame for the shooting of said Dawg because of prior admission alluding to your culpability...
  • KopperlKopperl Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're half right Red Ryder Daiseys are still for Sale but about $40 a pop around here.
  • USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kopperl
    You're half right Red Ryder Daiseys are still for Sale but about $40 a pop around here.

saw one at the gun/jerky/jewelry/glassware/swords/knives/coin show yesterday for $250 [:0]