In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Plainsfield M1 stock

mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
My wife brought home what she was told is a Plainsfield stock for her m1 carbine. I have never seen one before, so are these stocks any good. If it is in very good conditions what would be an approximate value? Yes, I know peace and it will go on her carbine.
Thanks

This is the mean looking one with the forward pistol grip and the pull out wire stock

Comments

• fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    so what is it?? standared stock,the under folder or the mean looking one with the pullout wire stock and the front hand grip
  • fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    probaly bring a hundred bucks+ on the auctions,,only one problem is the have a weak area were the stock slides in the stocks
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you list it, you want to spell the name correctly; it's "Plainfield".

Neal
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I think it must go on the rifle. Is there anything practical that can be done to strengthen the weak areas,
    "were the stock slides in the stocks"? Plainfield, thanks
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Mcaso, to answer your question: Perhaps reinforce the metal-to-wood fittings with epoxy? I'm shooting from the hip, here, as the basic design is not the strongest, and user care is the bottom line to keep it from breaking.

Opinion: A stronger stock (by design) is the USGI paratrooper side-folder. If compactness is of primary importance, and you don't mind abandoning the "neat" look of the Plainfield stock, reproduction paratrooper stocks are available on several auction websites. Good luck! Joe
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Again I really thank everyone for your help. Remember that my wife brought it home for Her carbine. So maybe the suggestion of reinforcing might be alright. Paratrooper, I don't think so.