In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62 NATO Headstamp ID

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
OK guys, someone out there knows the origin of this ammo. I have searched on several web sights and have come up with no definite answer. Some say German and some say Austrian (Hirtenberger). Is this ammo German or Hirtenberger? Headstamp reads "7.62x51" at 12 o'clock. At 6 o'clock reads "H21-59". Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I got some once fired brass. Thought it was all going to be LC but there was some CBB 07 with the NATO cross in a circle symbol. Just curious what the CBB stands for. It's reloadable and I weighed a few cases of LC and CBB. I just wipped them off with a rag good and looked to make sure a clump of dirt wasn't inside and the CBB weighed about 20 grains more than the LC.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is also some SBC stuff in there as well. Any ideas on where that or the CBB brass was made? All is 7.62 NATO brass with crimped primers.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SBC- I THINK is Sellier & Bellot.
  • Options
    ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The US military is currently buying foreign mfg 7.62 Nato ammo to use for training inside the US. I believe the SBC head stamp mentioned should be SBS that stands for Santa Barbara Systems or Spanish mfg, I have also seen the PMJ head stamp that is Korean mfg. The unknown CBB is probably another of these foreign mfg ones.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found somone else said that the SBS was Santa Barbara Systems as well. Still no luck on the CBB. I figured it was foreign but was just curious where.
  • Options
    ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the like but no luck there. I got the brass really cheap and thought about selling it but the more I think about it and mess with it, I'm going to keep it. You can't have to much brass. I'll have to sort throught it all and see what other headstamps I come up with. It will be a rainy day project.
  • Options
    Bracken SBracken S Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I specialize in collecting 7.62 x 51 ammunition
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bracken S,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

Please take a minute to read the Posting Guidelines located at the top of every page right under the GB logo.

Offers to Buy, Sell or Trade are not allowed on the forums.

Best.
  • Options
    Bracken SBracken S Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sources suggest that the CBB case may be from Brazil - CBC (Companhia Brasileira de Cartuchos). CBC was part of the General Dynamics Second Source contract and it is likely that the U.S. Government would want another H/S code for use on the GD contract.

Bracken S
  • Options
    willie8willie8 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know what manufacturer CBB is?

Below is a link to photos of LC - Lake City and CBB blank ammo (30-06)

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/willie8/CBB ammo/

Thanks
    Bill
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I'm scratchin' my head. 20gr difference in weight? Were the old primers removed prior to weighing? Thanks, Joe