In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

chasspot rifles

glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
edited June 2006 in Ask the Experts
Any one know anything about the french Chasspot rifle.I have just got one ,believe it to be 11mm.Where the regimental disk would go in the stock it has a hole and I was told that it possible was used by the Vatican guard and in thie hole under the regimental plate was a container filled with holy water.Any one know about these rifles .

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although they were made and used over a relatively short time frame, circa 1866-1874. There are a number of different varations and makers. The original Chassepot's were chambered for a self-contained "Combustible Cartridge". Many of the original Chassepot's were reworkrd in the 1870's for the Gras metallic cartridge, this has a great affect on their current value.

If you could provide quality photos, physical dimensions and ALL markings perhaps we can give you a better idea of what your rifle is/value.

Never was aware of the story vis a vis the Vatican. Can't help you with that.
  • Options
    Dean CascioDean Cascio Member Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by glyn
    Where the regimental disk would go in the stock it has a hole and I was told that it possible was used by the Vatican guard and in thie hole under the regimental plate was a container filled with holy water.Any one know about these rifles .

The hole was used to lockup the rifle at night.
    Dean
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.It has a huge sword bayonet with a brass handle with it.How was the hole utilized to lock it up.I will cast the chamber this weekend and find the size cartridge it takes this weekend.It has a really bright shiny bore and looks like there is little wear.The exterior is pitted all over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any one any idea what it is worth,the bayonet is in good condition but as I said the rifle is 90% pitted .
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those BAyo's too..Tulle manufacture written down the spine...one nasty looking charachter!! Can't add much except that the Swiss guard used Swiss gunsI'm pretty sire.