In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

did berretta ever fix the deadly slide problem?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
how are the new ones folks? does the thought ever creep into your minds when you fire your new guns, that the thing may fly off? what did they do to fix the problem?
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    boomerrang, are you sure you responded to the right thread? your answer makes no sense!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are referring to the slide coming off in the mil tests, yes that was fixed ages ago. The average 92 will probably last far longer than most users will fire it.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
    edited November -1
    how did they fix it? what do you look for?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there was a redesign of some block on the gun. Given that the military adopted this gun around 1985, figure that any recently made gun will have this feature.

If you need some basic info on Berettas try here:
    http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6144/

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I guess you were too busy rambling around that 23 (or was it 22) room house to keep current on delevopemnts from 1990. The fix was an enlarged hammer axis pin which has a round projection just above the rear of the left grip panel. There is a corresponding slot cut in the left inner rail of the slide which mates up with it. In the event of the slide cracking the groove in the slide rail catches this pin and the slide is stopped cold! This was a $13 million retrofit done to all M9 service pistols then in inventory by Beretta and was NOT a recall. Civilian and police pistols were not offered this modification as a retro fit, although any gun smith can perform the modification to any Model 92-- designated Model 92FS after the mods (new left grip panel, hammer axis pin, and a groove milled into the left inner slide rail) are performed. Starting in the Mid 1990's all Beretta Model 92's had this retention feature included as standard and the older 92F designation was dropped and 92FS became the standard pistol. Roger that Grasshopper?

Mark T. Christian
  • Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Deadly Problem"? I recall some of the pistols failed but do not recall hearing of any deaths involved, did I miss that?
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Jody, there were actually fewer than 100 total slide failures and around 15 of those occured under laboratory testing. No one was ever killed, although there were a couple of rather serious * lacerations and one very badly bruised chest. Interestingly enough, in all of the low numbered Model 1903 Springfield receiver failures no one was killed either-- although 3 men suffered the total loss of one eye. There was never any DEADLY Beretta slide problem, although some people like to keep this myth alive!

Mark T. Christian
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark,

We don't always agree, but gosh darn, don't ever leave this board taking your expertise. I'll come after you!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    O.K. Thanks Mark, I did not think I had heard of any deaths being attributed to the slide problem, as to slide failures in general, I have seen several military 1911-1911A1 slides cracked and broken at the recoil spring cap seat,faulty recoil springs and failed spring caps were blamed, so the problem is not a new one. I guess that in the old days armorers took it for granted that things break sometimes, it's just lately that someone has a congressional hearing when a paper clip bends and re-election is nigh.
    edited November -1
    looks like i was the victim of the myth! good to know no one was killed. and yes...its amazing what can happen to a gun collection or gun business...when one gets married and must please the wife! the old swords into plow sheers is so true! 4 years out of the saddle really rusts the knowledge locker! thanks for the update guys!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.