In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223\ 75grn Loads

223ark223ark Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
How do you all,

Where could I get some information on what powders and loads their using on the heavier 22cal. bullets in the 223. I just don't want to buy another handloading manual just to play with some 75 grn bullets. I have a Savage 10 FP with one and nine twist. I want to see if it will stablize them.

Thanks
223 ark

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223ark,

Try these:

www.benchrest.com/sst (look at powder section)
    www.reloadersnest.com
    www.loadyourown.com

All three sites list loads for the .223 and 75 grain bullets. You have to check the Hodgdon site when using the 'sst' site map.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey nononsence,
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to chatin with you'all on this forum. 223ark
  • Options
    3_47Inf3_47Inf Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223ark,

I have a Savage 10FP also. Don't waste your time with a round that heavy. The 10FP will tolerate a 62gr, but it will not stabilize the heavier rounds no matter how much powder. Of course, it may also just be my rifle. I found that the Hornady 55gr V-Max will give me 1/2 inch shot groups at 200 yards. For a 223, that is about how far you want to go with that round. You won't face an urban situation where you will use a 223 in longer distances. If you do have a need to reach out and touch someone farther than that in an Urban environment, you would proably use a 308 to get the penetration without over-penetration. At distances less than 200 yards in an urban environment, the 55gr 223 will give you enough knock-out power (provided you place the round correctly) and will not give you over-penetration.

Naturally, I am assuming quite a bit here. I never asked why you wanted a heavier round.

3_47Inf
  • Options
    ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you load this round, the bullet may tumble as it goes downrange, i'm assuming the standard 223 rifling. check the paper for a nice round hole.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    3-47 inf ,
    Just wanting to play around with them. Had bought these 75s when I still had my 20 HB AR, with 1-7 twist. Always wanted to try them out then, just did'nt find my round 2it. Thought I might smack an ole ground pig out there at some way out there range. I do know my Savage has a 1-9 twist. May have to try a lighter bullet. Want to get as heavy a one that it will fly right.

Thanks for replying, chat at ya later, 223ark