In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington R25 or DPMS Sportical in .308???

moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
edited June 2009 in Ask the Experts
Is there a difference between the R25 or DPMS Sportical in 308?

I have read on the DPMS site that some are having issues with surplus ammo with the DPMS.

I would like to get an AR .308 style rifle but I have 3,000 rounds of surplus brass ammo and I would hate to get a rifle that doesn't like the ammo.

Suggestions???

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moreammoplz
    Is there a difference between the R25 or DPMS Sportical in 308?

Not that I am aware of since DPMS is making the R25 for Remington.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want either one of these rifles and if you can find one I would still buy it. You state you have 3000 rounds of brass. None of the manufacturers warranty or guarantee in regards to reloaded ammo. I would suspect that there might be a failure to feed problem with some reloaded ammo. The same may apply to some of the surplus ammo that is on the market. I had the same problem with my original AR10 but that was cured by using small base sizing dies which are available from most die manufactures. Just don't use them in a turret press. The manufacturers will not warranty ANY guns using reloaded ammo as they have no control over the way the ammo is loaded. If you were to have a catastrophic melt down using surplus ammo I'm sure they would not warranty that either. Good luck.
  • moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't just have brass it is LOADED AMMO, not reloads.

Is a dust cover and forward assist really needed????????

Can't say the last time I ever used it on my .223 AR15.

EDIT from note below..... GOOD POINT. THANK YOU. I found a DPMS 308 for $889 and thought it might be a nice add to the collection, but I don't want junk. Leaning towards the R25 for the cool camo and also figured one day Remington may get out of the .308 business so it may be worth some $$$$ down the road.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    In the DPMS rifles I have experience with(Also Fulton), the chambers and throats are simply too tight for most surplus ammo. They feed and cycle, but show serious pressure signs.

I suspect this could be fixed if you were so inclined with a chamber and or throating reamer.

I have heard that there are two different chambers being used by DPMS, but have not seen that in print anywhere. All I have seen have been a very tight "match" type chamber( tight neck, short leade, 1.630" headspace).
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a difference between he Sportical, and the R-25. The Sportical does not have the dust cover over the ejection port, or the forward assist...the R-25 has both. If you can not find a regular DPMS LR-308, then go with the R-25 if you can find one.

I don't believe that there is a problem with the LR-308 and surplus ammo, as many of these are seeing roles as the spotter rifle for a sniper team. They digest just about anything, but favor good match ammo for long range hits.

Best

EDIT:

moreammoplz,

quote:Is a dust cover and forward assist really needed????????

I was just answering your question with a solid answer. If you are going to use the gun in a dusty environment, then I say yes, they are nice features to have. Also lets not forget that these rifles poop where they eat. Ask some of our boys that were in the early VeitNam battles with rifles that did not have these features, that wish they or some of their buddies that did not make it back, had it.

Also, if they cheap this to make the overall package more affordable, then what else did they cheap on?

EDIT 2

Remington, Bushmaster, and DPMS are all owned by the same company. Bushmaster makes the R-15 rifle for Remington, and DPMS makes the R-25 for them. So when you are buying a Remington R-25, you are buying a DPMS. There is nothing about the word DPMS that should scare you. DPMS is TOP SHELF. I am not sure what you have heard about surplus ammo, but there is some that should not be shot in any rifle, but the DPMS made R-25, or LR-308 are as strong and reliable as any made. There is nothing to worry about there. I do own a DPMS LR-308 with the SS fluted barrel, and flat top. I have a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x56 NP-R1 reticle, with the Zero Stop turrets. I have not had one problem yet, and it will routinely deliver 1/2 MOA with the right loads at 400 yards...that is the furthest I have really played with it. I have shot gongs and highpowered rifle poppers at 600, and 700, but not really tested it or myself.

Best
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I have pretty much the same rifle as TSR1965 and it shoots comparable groups with consistant, quality ammo. It is an interesting, reliable gun to shoot. but I see minor faults in certian aspects of the DPMS rifle.

I am suprised that a spring retarded bolt or BCG isnt used to slow down the bolt while unlocking. It would take care of alot of potential problems. So would some type of gas manafold. Either or both would reduce wear and tear in carbines or standard 22", 24", or 26" rifles without spending money on redundant things like carrier weights.

If I was going to spend my hard earned money on a factory made carbine I'd buy one from DPMS. it would be a model with proper gas tube/barrel length ratio. that means a rifle length gas tube and an 18" barrel.

Not a 16" rifle with a 7" gas system. I am suprised that owners of these guns arent experiancing malfunction or breakage. Sometimes it seems like gun manufactureres dont want to make the best firearms. With this in mind, make whatever choice seems good to you.

my LR-308 has a low profile flat top upper with the FA, dust cover, and fluted barrel with low profile gas block.. Its like a big varmint countour AR-15. If you are interested in looking at some of what DPMS is selling, My gun was begot from this place. The configuration I have isnt Ideal for packing up and down hills. I am thinking of getting an upper with a rifle length 12" gas system, 18" medium contour barrel.

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-semiauto-ar15-complete-308.shtml

My rifle is the one at the very bottom.

I do not like the big blocky upper and gas block/Front sight base and open ejection port.

Though the blocky upper will give you more rigidity. whatever good it does with a slim profile carbine barrel would be moot, and would be redundant in my opionion.