In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Trying to Identify Gun? Help.

JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Trying to Identify Gun? Help.

It's the one on the top of the picture. It looks very similar, but the one I have is lighter wood and darker blued barrel.

It's a .22 and I'm trying to find out what it is and who made it.

Any one have any idea who would have made something like that at one point in time?

55001014971098633051000.jpg

Sorry for the small picture it's the best I could find to match.

Comments

• bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a book, I think it's called " Flaydermann's Guide to Antique
    Firearms" that might be a good investment for you. It is the guide most often used by antique firearms dealers that I have seen over the years. Dealers just call it "Flaydermanns". I probably killed the spelling but that is the book you need to check out. What you have looks like what Europeans ( mostly German or French ) referred to as a "Parlor Pistol" used for target competition. There were a lot of alterations to these guns paid for by the owners, who were usually well-to-do gentlemen of the period. You might also consider taking a picture of the gun and mailing it to the NRA Museum in Virginia. Those old boys have seen it all. Good Luck.........
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best be careful with it. I have seen a number of similar pistols over the years. If it isn't a European made Parlor Pistol as the previous poster suggested? It might be a U.S. made .22 rifle that has been cut down and reworked into a pistol. If it is, it has the potential of causing you a lot of grief from the feds. There are quite specific federal laws regarding the reworking of rifles into pistols. Even something as innocuous as a single shot .22 that was reworked 80 years ago, could cause you severe problems from these a-holes.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I've seen references to some similar factory made .22 bolt action "pistols" that were called "whale guns", or 'Whaling guns". I guess they were used to kill whales similar to how cattle are killed before slaughter.
    They seem to turn up most often in Canada and the New England states.
  • JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Best be careful with it. I have seen a number of similar pistols over the years. If it isn't a European made Parlor Pistol as the previous poster suggested? It might be a U.S. made .22 rifle that has been cut down and reworked into a pistol. If it is, it has the potential of causing you a lot of grief from the feds. There are quite specific federal laws regarding the reworking of rifles into pistols. Even something as innocuous as a single shot .22 that was reworked 80 years ago, could cause you severe problems from these a-holes.

That is the reason I'm trying to track down what gun this is cause I've got some friends that are facing Felony charges over this weapon being discharged.
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JakeCourtney

That is the reason I'm trying to track down what gun this is cause I've got some friends that are facing Felony charges over this weapon being discharged.

Friends? More than one involved? Only one person pulled the trigger..if it's no more than a firearms violation the others should not be involved in this. Perhaps I've spoken out of turn here, so I'll digress..

Reads like the pistol is in custody somewhere. Safeguarded as evidence. Are you in a position to examine the firearm, so as to get back to us with all the words/markings on the firearm? Perhaps photos of the markings? It will help us in the identification. Good Luck! Joe
  • JakeCourtneyJakeCourtney Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    quote:Originally posted by JakeCourtney

Friends? More than one involved? Only one person pulled the trigger..if it's no more than a firearms violation the others should not be involved in this. Perhaps I've spoken out of turn here, so I'll digress..

Reads like the pistol is in custody somewhere. Safeguarded as evidence. Are you in a position to examine the firearm, so as to get back to us with all the words/markings on the firearm? Perhaps photos of the markings? It will help us in the identification. Good Luck! Joe

Well, it is four people getting charged. There was four people in the vehicle and my friend didn't know the firearm was in the vehicle at all. Then out of no where one of the four whips out the firearm and shoots a couple of rounds at some deer. A police Sergent heard the shots and confiscated the gun. They are all four people charged and are awaiting trial. I'm pretty sure they are saying the gun was modified and its considered a felony. My friend did not touch the firearm, did not know the existence of the firearm, nor was he driving the vehicle.

I'm not sure why he is being prosecuted when he didn't even touch or know about the gun.

Yes, the firearm is held in custody and is being treated as evidence. My friend is a also a peace officer and he has reason to believe they are delaying trial so that his peace officer license will expire. He only has an appointed state attorney.

I'm not really understanding what they are getting him on as long as both other parties say he had no knowledge of the gun.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm with rufe-snow on this. My very first impression was that it's a cut-down Savage or Stevens .22 rifle made into a pistol. If that's the case, you might want to make some new friends as yours are going to be gone for awhile. I'm sorry to sound blunt as I am sympathetic but ATF has little sympathy for possession of a cut-down rifle. Maybe only the owner will be prosecuted if it can be established which one it is. Otherwise, all of them can be prosecuted as accessories but maybe they can cut a deal as witnesses for the prosecution.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I don't believe that we will be able to help you -- or your friend -- with any part of this problem.

Neal
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    There is a pistol version of the Savage - Stryker or similar. Only made a few years.

Assuming it is a cut down rifle instead, I'd be asking if they found your finger prints on it....

quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I'm with rufe-snow on this. My very first impression was that it's a cut-down Savage or Stevens .22 rifle made into a pistol. If that's the case, you might want to make some new friends as yours are going to be gone for awhile. I'm sorry to sound blunt as I am sympathetic but ATF has little sympathy for possession of a cut-down rifle. Maybe only the owner will be prosecuted if it can be established which one it is. Otherwise, all of them can be prosecuted as accessories but maybe they can cut a deal as witnesses for the prosecution.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say what he needs is a top criminal lawyer. I too do not believe we can help you.