In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Blueing Removal

KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
Anybody out there know of a good way to get blueing off of a receiver? I've got one that I'd like to get back down to bare metal. Thanks.

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUFFING WHEEL.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Birchwood Casey Blue Remover

bumpersticker.gif
  • Doc FeelgoodDoc Feelgood Member Posts: 542 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use one of the commercial rust removers (Naval Gel, etc.). Just make certain that not even a drop gets on bluing that you want to keep.
  • onehalf_moaonehalf_moa Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wifes cat decided to take a dump on one of my guns years ago, I had slid it under the bed overnight since I was working on it. It cleaned the blue off perfectly. The gun still shot though (good enough to hit a cat )...[;)] - I used Naval Jelly to strip the rest of it...

God made some men big and some men small, Col. Colt made 'em equal...
  • CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which model gun?

If it has an aluminum receiver, the gels, etc, wont work because the receiver is anodized - not blued.

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Jake_S-83Jake_S-83 Member Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use that birchwood casey stuff too. works very well. just make sure to completely degrease before attempting to refinish
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that cat crap idea is interesting - cats aren't too hard to come by - but it might be kinda messy to work with.

Thanks for all the feedback. The gun is a Remington 1100. I'll get some of the birchwood casey stuff and give it a try.
  • Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The smell would be enough for me NOT to want to even think about it!

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • roysharoysha Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toilet bowl cleaner or Muriatic acid which is available at lumberyards quite inexpensively. BE CAREFUL!!! It is hard on everything it gets on. Don't leave it in contact with stainless for any length of time or it will etch and stain it. Completerly degrease work piece. Use rubber gloves and rinse throughly in COLD water then in hot tap water to help it dry. Will start to rust in no time, if not protected.
    Glass beads (super fine) also works great but of course that leaves a matte finish.

BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Naval Jelly is what I always use.

How you doin'!
    wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif

bumpersticker.gif

If the Army and the Navy
    Ever look on Heaven's scenes;
    They will find the streets are guarded by
    UNITED STATES MARINES!