In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

FFL Driver's License

muskox2000muskox2000 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just had a person win an auction for a rifle I wanted to sell. I have done a handful of transfers before but this time the person (FFL holder) has aske dme to send a copy of my Driver's License. I have nothing to hide I am just uncomfortable about sending around copies of my LIC. Should I be?

I want to respect the wants of the FFL receive but this seems unneccessary to me. Is there any part of the lic I could cut out to protect myself from identity theft or I am just crazy to worry about this?

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once you have a copy of the FFL & have verified it with ATF's EZ-Check, you can feel comfortable sending the FFL a photocopy of your drivers license with the rifle. He is required to enter the transferor's identifying information in his bound book; incomplete or incorrect entries could cost him his license when he is inspected by ATF. It is a reasonable request.

Neal
  • muskox2000muskox2000 Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal, Thanks very much. That is good enough for me. Musky
  • oldfoxoldfox Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bigger risk is on the other side.

There was so much doctoring, forgery and misuse of the copies of FFLs that were being sent out to non-licensee sellers by FFLs that the FFLs have stopped sending any copies of their FFL to anyone who is not an FFL themselves.

If an unlicensed person ships to an out of state FFL, they can do so by relying on the EZcheck system once the FFL gives them the first three and last five of their FFL#.

The Gun Broker site fails to address this distinction between FFL and unlicensed sellers and has aggravated a slew of confusion among the sellers. They should NOT be telling unlicensed sellers to get a red- or blue-signed copy of the FFL, but merely to get the ship to from the EZCheck system.

Further confusing the issue is that only and FFL can send a handgun via mail interstate and only to another FFL. "Civilian" sellers must use a common or contract carrier (FedEx, UPS, DHL etc.) and do not need a copy of the consignees FFL, in fact they shouldn't even ask for it because it introduces a security risk to the system.

Non-FFLs might toss those copies in the trash without shreding or burning them when the deal is done (since they are not required to keep records and a "bound book") and that makes it possible for dumpster scavengers to find and doctor the FFL copies.

Terry
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    THE DIVERS LICENSE ISN'T REALY NESESSARY BUT SOME FFL'S WANT ONE, YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS ON A CHECK IS A THAT'S NEEDED. WHEN ASKED FOR ONE I MAKE A COPY WITH THE NUMBERS BLACKED OUT.