In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fair Trade?

The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2004 in Ask the Experts
I just acquired a full-sized, stainless HK USP, .40 SW. I took it in as collateral on a loan, and the person now says I can keep it, as his new girlfriend won't let a firearm in the house. There has been around 200 rounds through it, and I have everything that came with it when he bought it new 3 years ago.
I'd like to exchange it for a Glock 26 in 9mm. Would this be a fair trade?
There is only one HK USP listed on Gunbroker, and it's going for $699, but all kinds of Glock 26s ranging from $465 to $599.
To save shipping and FFL transfer charges, I'm probably going to wait until there is a gun show here in my area. Do venders at gun shows "trade" fairly?
Thanx for all your help.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    You'd be crazy to trade the H&K for a Glock! Just my .02[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • riverriver Member Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just about to "pull the trigger" on a Sig 40 S&W - would rather have the HK if you would rather have the cash - need to know within the hour or I'll be pack'in SIG - good shooting!
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric, it's too big for what I want. Big, I mean in size---.40 S&W has a lot more knock-down power than the 9mm, I know that.
    I find that I don't carry it 'cause it is so large, I'm thinking I'll be more apt to strap on the little Glock more often.
    I got the HK as collateral for a loan, so I didn't pay much for it, and I'm not really interested in making a buck.
    Figured I'd trade it in on something I would use more often.
    Don't get me wrong, it shoots wonderfully, and I'm sure it is of better quality than the Glock, but realistically, I don't use it much.
    Is the Glock so inferior that it would not serve as a decent carry piece?
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    How much ya got in the HK?

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Does it have more value than the Glock; yes.But let me see if I have this straight. You have it. Don't want it. Don't have much tied up in it. Want something else. In this case I would say what difference does it make. If you are happy and they are happy go for it,

PS: Personally I would keep the HK

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BW, I loaned him $250. The deal was he could "redeem it" within one year for what I loaned him---no interest. After a year, it was mine to keep. A couple of months after I loaned him the cash, he moved in with his fianc?. When she found out he had a gun, she told him "it ain't gonna come into my house!!"
    I guess the guy is PW, `cause he also sold his Hayabusa street bike. Must be one heck of a woman!!!
    It's been a year and a half now, and I've shot it a grand total of 3 times. I bought an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig for it, but it is a hassle to carry it that way. I have a paddle for it also, but it is too big to keep concealed on my hip.
    I'm thinkin' the Glock 26 would be more of a pocket pistol, or much less conspicuous on my hip, and if so, it would get carried more often.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like if you really want the Glock and can trade even up,then you got the Glock really cheap.Even if you did let the HK go too cheap.

But if it makes you happy,go for it.The other guy is gettin' the better deal though.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of my trading my HD Sportster for about a dozen assorted firearms. If you went into the dollars and cents, I got the short end. However, I almost never road the bike, and the other guy rarely shot the guns. He was happy, and I was happy. Good enough.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    BEST WAY IS TO SELL THE HK HERE, BUY THE GLOCK AT A GUN SHOW (DEALERS REALY LIKE CASH) AND HAVE ENOUGH LEFT OVER FOR A BUNCH OF AMMO.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would put the HK up for auction here on GB, then take the proceeds and go buy exactally what you want. If a dealer at a gun show sees you coming with an HK to trade for a Glock he will probably rip your arm off with it.