In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bausch & lomb Elite 4000 question

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited August 2008 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking for opinions on an older Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 6x24 variable, made before Bushnell took over. Good? Bad?

Comments

• Options
    skyhigh_sellerskyhigh_seller Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't looked through the exact one you are asking about, but I have used other B&L 3000 and 4000. They are pretty good. Don't pay a premium for B&L vs Bushnell. The new Bushnell's are very nice.
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a elite 4000 2.5x10x40 which is very nice. Opticly it keeps up with Leupold variIIIs. Where it falters is on the warranty. If the scope you are considering is 1/2 the price of a new one, well then I would find it interesting. But, if you aren't going to save a bunch of money I'd go with a new Leupold or Burris or something like that. You have to save alot to make taking the risk of a bad scope worth while. Likewise if you have no recourse for future failure.
  • Options
    DabluzDabluz Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Leupold Varix on a rifle however, the rifle (a 742 Remington Carbine in .308) and scope were stolen. I replaced it with a new rifle (Remington 700 BDL in 7mm mag) and since I couldn't get a Leupold scope before hunting season, I bought a Bausch and Lomb Elite 4000 1.5 X 6 instead because the sales person said that it was just as good as the Leupold.

The sales person was right. It was just as good if not better than the Leupold. The click adjustement is nicer on the Elite 4000.

The Elite 4000 is mounted to a 7mm magnum and it stays zeroed from year to year. Yes, the Elite 4000 has a Leupold base, mounts and rings.

For low light conditions, the Elite is just as good as the Leupold.

Unfortunately, Bausch and Lomb no longer exist. I've heard that the Bushnell Elite 4200 is a pretty good scope....but I have never used one.
  • Options
    DabluzDabluz Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dokey
    I'm looking for opinions on an older Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 6x24 variable, made before Bushnell took over. Good? Bad?

Good to excellent.