In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sources; Military Firearm Issue By Ser. Number?

fort_knoxfort_knox Member Posts: 263 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm sure any military firearm collector has occasionally been curious about the who, what, when, where, etc. regarding what they have.

Aside from collector/reference books available showing manufacture dates and contracts for certain firearms, are there any sources available for determining the history on a particular firearm by it's serial number? I'm guessing this would not be likely since its probably archived by the military somewhere and not accessible. I have been researching my Grandfather's WWI Army experience and it's a slow, painstaking (an frequently unproductive) process.

It would be interesting to have a name (especially if it had been issued to someone famous), but it would also be equally if not more satisfying to know anything else specific to it, such as; when it was issued, how many times it had been re-issued, where it has been if possible by some means, etc.

Comments