In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

870 shotgun wanting some info

Artic wolfArtic wolf Member Posts: 181 ✭✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Remington 870 express magnum. what I Want to know is it a better to just keep it and buy a new barrel for grouse.
Or buy a winchester model 1300. because a 28inch barrel is to long for grouse were I hunt.[?][?]

ex the legal length for my area is 18 inches

Comments

• Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe I would check around for a used barrel for the 870.

"Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmmm, i think 28" is the shortest a 3" 870 mag bbl comes in. i may be wrong. guys, help me out. what length is legal for your area? 26"?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Remington makes barrels all the way down to 21" with their rem chokes or 18" with a fixed choke.... best grouse barrel I ever had was one that started out as a 30" full and I cut down, what I would do is cut the barrel off right in front of a vent rib post , smooth up the cut and take it out and check the pattern it would throw , if it didn't look good then I cut it off back to the next post until I got a decent pattern out of it , barrel was about 24" when I quit , then I just took it to a gunsmith , had twin bads put on it . shot alot of birds witht that barrel ..
    check here on the gun parts pages or e-bay is a good place to watch , pawn shops in your area or gunshops usually have used barrels ,, decent barrel for what you want should run maybe as little as $50 up to $100 ....
    just the other day I picked up a like new 870 12 gauge barrel-- 26" vent rib choked imp.cyl 2 3/4" chamber for $50 at a local gun shop,,,
    most people these days do not want a fixed choke barrel so they can go pretty cheap some times ,, just look around [:D]
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    go out and get a 26 or 24 inch barrel with rem chokes. try cabellas you will pay alot but cuts down on the run around

He who dies with the most toys still dies "NO FEAR"
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    Artic Wolf one other thought is to have your barrel shorten by a gunsmith and them have them rethread it for your rem chokes , places like Gander Mountain does this type of work , ( and others ) runs around $100 if I remember right [:D]