In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 to .300 Savage.

Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
Hello, just wondering how hard it would be to convert a .308 barrel to .300 Savage and would the barrel still hold up to that round? I know they are very similar and I know about having to shorten the barrel and rechambering it. I am sure the action will need little to no modification to accept the .300 Savage round if it is already taking the .308 Win. I am just wondering if anyone has seen, done, or heard about doing this conversion. I don't yet know what gun I am going to do this to but I have a barrel in .308 for a small ring Mauser and that is probably going to be the starting point. It is a newer barrel (not original surplus) so I am not worried about the strength of the barrel holding up to the .308, however I do not know what pressures the .300 Savage round makes or if it is more or less than the .308. Any opinions or information would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
- .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
sound

Comments

• Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    the 300 savage operates at a lower pressure than the 308win , I would just buy a 30 cal barrel and have it reammed for the 300savage if thats what you want
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 300 Savage is less powerful than the 308 and the case is smaller. The conversion can be done cutting off the back of the 308 bbl and rechambering to 300 Savage.I dont know why you want to this as the 308 ammo and brass is so much more plentiful and cheaper. If the 308 has more power or recoil than you want you can reload it very mild and duplicate the Savage ballistics. The 308 is a great carttridge and I dont mean to take away from the old classic 300 ,but I would it as is.
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    The 300 Savage is SAAMI'ed at about 45,000 CUP.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://www.galleryofguns.com

VIP Code: 900440

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, the only real reason I want a .300 Savage is because I don't have one yet. I could just buy one, but if I make one it will be more mine, you know? I think buying the barrel blank would be the best option. I can keep the .308 barrel for later, I am sure I'll find a use for it. I already have two guns in .308 so I can always use them.

Thanks for the replies,

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    s.o., go for it. i've built rifles for lessor reasons. the .300 sav. can be loaded to almost .308 levels it proper rifles and is adequate for almost anything. any action that will handle the .308 will work for the .300. a lot of jap. 7.7's where converted to .300 by setting the barrel back and rethreading.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S.O., I've been building one of them things as time allows for about the same reason you quote. If you're just interested in a shooter and you've got access to, or own, the reamer, you can use a Spanish m93/95 action and a Springfield surplus barrel, cut the barrel off and thread, chamber, etc, and you've got it. The .300 is a good hunting cartridge, period.
    Frankly, I think that the .300 is one of the best uses for those Guardia Civil M1916 ".308's" that are in circulation. The reason of course is the chamber pressure that the .308 develops, 55 KPSI or so, which is considerably above the 45 KPSI that those actions were designed to handle.
    One of these days when I finish the stock, I'll take mine hunting.
    Cheers and good luck,
    OleDuk[:)][:)]

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
    British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.