In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Deer rifle accuracy

ruger891022ruger891022 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
What type of accuracy should i want for a deer rifle, my sprinfield 03 a3 chambered in 6mm remington gets about 1 1/2'' to 2'' is this enough accuracy for deer...this is from factory loads, what type of accuracy do u think is need for deer...this is at 50 yards also...is this about average accuracy? It is off of sand bags Will this work good enough for deer?

10/22 stainless carbine
Custom O3-A3
savage 24
stevens 67h
NEF Pardner 12 ga.
winchester x-150 .50
winchester 88 .308

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    You will probably get a variety of answers on this subject, but for me, personally, I would expect a decent deer rifle to group at least 1" or better at 50 yards. 50 yard accuracy should be nothing for a 6mm. You might try a different ammo to try and close those groups up.

osamakerry.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some other brands of ammunition. Determine your twist rate and buy the appropriate weight projectile for that twist. It sounds as though you have an ammunition problem if you can only get 1" at 50yds. Now,..if the farthest shot you will take will be 50yds,..then you are good to go. Accuracy has a lot to do with the intended range in which you wish to be efficient. If you want a 300yd rifle,..then NO!!! 1" at 50yds is horrible.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • COONASSCOONASS Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    should get much better ........ what ammo are you using ...
    what scope do you have ....... Is barrel clean .........
    how long have you been shooting a scoped rifle .......

How far do you plan on or can shoot a deer in "your" area....
    If 100 yds or less , yes your ready...... but there's always
    room for improvement ........

How much do you shoot during the year ........

We Live in a World of Give And Take, But A Lot Of People Won't Give What it Takes.

" There's plenty of room for all God's creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes."
    <')))><

<')))><
  • andy12390andy12390 Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try using a heavy bullet (different brands) and a lighter bullet (different brands) this should help

one shot, one kill
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't say but I assume you are using a scope. If so parallax may be the problem. I believe scopes intended for use on highpower rifles are parallax free at 100 yards. To check for a parallax problem, put the rifle on something to hold it steady then aim at the target. Move your head (eye) from side to side without moving the rifle. If the cross hairs, or whatever reticle you have, appears to move across the target as you move your head, you have a parallax problem. If you have the parallax problem and you don't get the exact same spot weld for each shot you will not be able to get a good group.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use a scope, you normally sight in at 25yrds and 100yrds. 1" groups at 100 yards should be achieveable with factory ammo in most rifles. The shooter is also an important component. Sad to say, most of my rifles shoot better than I do, and I will never so 1/4" groups at 100 yards and I am not a 500 yard shooter. The kill zone on an average white tail is about 9" or the size of a dinner plate. If you are within that at whatever range you shoot you can do the job. Needless to say, tighter is better to cover the things that happen in the field.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a scope at under 100 yards unless it's an eye problem, lowlight situation, or you just think they're cool. With open sights, offhand, you should be able to hit 2" groups at 50 yds. with a .30-.30., hell even with a .22. I'm not a very good shot, but I can do that. Your scope is bad, or you're flinching or something. Have someone else shoot the same rifle, sights and ammo at the same range, and compare. If they don't match, one of you needs to practice. Good luck, hope you fill the freezer..
  • ruger891022ruger891022 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always shot 100 grain bullets, they are remington core lock ones, this box looks like it is old or somthing doesn't look like the new boxes from like walmart and stuff. The corloc stuff i useually shoot gets me about 1 inch groups, i cleaned my rifle, i used a bore brush and hoppes number 9 solvent and used a bout 2 dozen patches now i run a patch through and not much stuff shows up on it, before i never had to re zero my gun in, it always shot where i aimed, i don't know if it is the ammo or what, i am going to try winchester because that is common around here too or i could drive a hour and half to a good out door stoor and get some hornady rounds for almost 20.00 dollars a box which i think is kinda high being the remington and winchester only being about 13 to 14 a box. The shots i will be taking will be within 50 yards no further do to the thickness of brush and stuff, i have a bushnell scope on it it goes from 3 power to 9 power...it always shot really good before though...don't know if its this ammo or what...give me so more opinions...

10/22 stainless carbine
    Custom O3-A3
    savage 24
    stevens 67h
    NEF Pardner 12 ga.
    winchester x-150 .50
    winchester 88 .308
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More options- you can buy your ammo on line and get what ever you want, plus a little shipping, but no 1.5 hour drives. Hornady makes good ammo, I use a lot of the Light Magnum in some calibers.

Your scope may not be holding zero, or your rifle may not shoot to the same point clean as it does fouled.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Another option since your shots are 50 yards and under buy a shotgun.[:D]

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.