In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oklahoma gun laws?

GreatBeefaloGreatBeefalo Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
edited September 2004 in Ask the Experts
any of you fellas from Oklahoma? Im attending college here, and I dont know if out of state residents are allowed to purchase in Oklahoma. any clue, or links?

Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later.
--C.S. Lewis

Comments

• Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    You may purchase a long gun but not a pistol.

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let me expand a little on wipala's post. You can buy a long gun from a dealer in OK. You can't legally buy a handgun or long gun from an unlicensed individual except from a resident of the same state as your state of residence.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I've got to disagree with Herschel on this one.

Refer to the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P5300.4). A full time college student is considered a resident (for purposes of buying ANY firearm) in the state where he is attending college. So, while you are attending school in OK, you can buy anything an OK resident can buy.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Neal, From your past posts I know you are very well informed on the firearms regulations and are probably correct on this point but I can't find the "college student" exception to residency requirements in my copy Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide. Would you tell me page number where the point is covered?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have the page #; but, it is ATF Ruling 80-21.

The residency requirements cited by Nunn do not apply to this case, & were not included in the ATF ruling.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Neal, I had a vague recollection of such a ruling but could not find it in the Regulations Guide. .
  • Options
    GreatBeefaloGreatBeefalo Member Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rock on! Thanks guys--you're reliable as usual...

Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later.
    --C.S. Lewis